Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's School Glue Really Works! >

Elmer's School Glue Really Works!

Elmer's School Glue Really Works!

Old 12-14-2018, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Thanks to all of you who suggested using it for basting. What a great idea!
I used it for my sister's quilt and nothing moved the whole time.
I'm glad I bought a lot of it because it's going to be my new best friend.

Thanks to all!
Ok, I am going to have to try this method. I once did use glue on a binding years ago, it worked fine. I have just always hated the smell of glue. But it sure would be cheaper than 505 Temporary Adhesive Spray (which has always worked great for me - but it definitely costs more than glue).

Did you just squeeze from the bottle and drizzle all over? How long did you wait for it to dry (and do I need to iron over it before starting to quilt)? Or if you thinned it out, what type of bottle did you use?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 AM

I too like using Elmers. I used it on a small quilt a few years ago, and it was several months before I got it quilted. The glue had turned brownish! I was in tears, but decided to finish it up anyway. To my delight, the glue washed out just fine, and left no brownish spots. I'm a believer!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:27 AM

I too learned about the elmer's glue here on the quilting board. Its great and much more budget friendly

I buy my glue in the gallon jugs from Amazon. Then I put in smaller glue bottles - about 2/3 glue to 1/3 water. Then I shake the bottle well and just squeeze from the bottle as needed
Old 12-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Remember you want Elmer's washable school glue or wash glue stick. I have used it and set it with my hot iron as I want to keep sewing.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
I think I am the only person in the world that hasn't had success with this method; I'm envious of everyone who uses it with great outcomes...sigh.....lol!
You aren't alone. I tried it a couple of times and just had a big mess.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Ruby and Pat- sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I have no idea why. What I did was drizzle it on sparingly but making sure to catch the whole quilt. I let it set overnight. No problems at all and it washed right out.
ETA- some people dilute it too. Maybe I'll try that next time.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:47 PM

Love it also. I purchased the thin tips from Sharon Schambers site. They work really well to keep from using too much.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Ruby and Pat- sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I have no idea why. What I did was drizzle it on sparingly but making sure to catch the whole quilt. I let it set overnight. No problems at all and it washed right out.
ETA- some people dilute it too. Maybe I'll try that next time.
Yep, I was disappointed to, I really wanted it to work as it looks so quick, easy and secure but I am now quite happy sitting up at my table using Sharon Schambers board basting method. I actually find it very relaxing even if it is time consuming.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
Did you just squeeze from the bottle and drizzle all over? How long did you wait for it to dry (and do I need to iron over it before starting to quilt)? Or if you thinned it out, what type of bottle did you use?
I put my bottle of glue in a bowl of hot tap water for a few minutes before using. It comes out like a spider web and is so fast! I drizzle it in a grid pattern.

I always iron the back to the batting after the glue. If the top doesn't have any markings that would be affected with an iron, I iron the top too. Otherwise I just leave it on a large flat table until it dries. It doesn't take long. If you can leave it overnight, it would be totally dry.

If I wanted to thin it, I would use a partially-used bottle of glue and add water to it. The tips that Sharon Schamber sells for the glue bottles work really well. However, Elmers has changed the tops on some of their newer bottles. If you have one of their older bottles and use Sharon's tips, don't throw it out. Just keep refilling it.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I will never use a pin again. This technique really works. just a small dot on those points you don't want to lose. Holding a long seam together as you sew, both sides of binding, curves, mini quilts, the list of uses goes on and on. I even use it to hold that first piece of fabric in place when PPing.

I buy it by the gallon and keep refilling several bottles for each pressing station I have.

For basting, I thin it down until it is like cream and sprays through a spray bottle. Have to do trial and error to get it right a few times but then, wow!. It will wrinkle a bit and just press them out while still damp, before quilting.

Last edited by ube quilting; 12-15-2018 at 05:38 AM.