Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: UFO moratorium

Blog Entries

UFO moratorium

I think I figured this one out, but I'd like to run it past all the experts here for sure. This is so old I don't even remember when I started it. And of course the pattern or picture of whatever I was working from is not in the tub. However, there seems to be a lot of the fabrics. I have a before this week picture and then after. I think I found the problem. One of the dark green setting squares was 11 1/2 in one direction and 10 1/2 in the other. If you look closely at the before picture you can see it. That particular setting diamond would never fit. Well, no wonder.Name:  20181215_070839_resized.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  319.9 KBBefore

Name:  20181215_081154_resized.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  299.3 KBAfter. I cut about 7/8 inch off one end of the offending square and sewed it back together with only one pucker which I will address here in a minute.

My question to the Lone Star Experts: Where was I going with this?? I found a book by Krentz and there is that setting diamond. Then what? Four corner triangles? The space measures 20 + - inches across the bottom of the 4 corners.

Before I go to the Ivory Tower and start whacking up the fabric, I'd like some opinions.

The problem with UFOs is that the fabrics are hard to locate. What I do will be dictated by what I can find in the tub.

Marcia

If you want to just square it off at this point you will need 2 15 1/2 inch squares - cut diagonally once to make 4 triangle corners. If my math is correct and I oversized it so you could sew it and then square the edges.

This is really a nice Lone Star! Good for you for finishing it!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Looks great, glad you figured out what the problem was! Doesn't it feel great to get something older out and get working on it again?
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Wow what you have so far is fabulous and I am glad you pulled it out again to work on it. Maybe the pattern was something like this? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/98164466859427230/ which is a variation on the broken star. You may have also been doing a broken star, in which case you would need a lot more of the diamond units and they need to be attached to the setting squares differently.
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 12-15-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Even if you just quilt and bind it as it is - a sort of circle - it will make a gorgeous wall hanging, table topper, or bed topper. The star positively shines.

Power Poster
    Have a look at the Broken Star pattern and see if it applies. Lovely center and you could just add 4 large cream triangles to get it square and then add borders.

Oh Wow! I just love the colors. You have to finish this. It will be great.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Great fix and lovely how the colors radiate, and big grats for dealing with a UFO!

Blog Entries
    So I took QuiltingVagabond's measurements and made a blocking triangle.Name:  20181215_110459_resized.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  245.1 KB And just pinned it to the design board and it seemed to fit. So then I went back to Jan Krentz's book and looked at some finishing techniques based on the fact that I could get this star squared at about 48 x 48. Then I made a smaller triangle based on QuiltingVagabond's design. Then lined it with log cabin strips. Now it's too big.

Name:  20181215_130740_resized.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  282.7 KB Thanks to all for your comments. I've still got lots of fabric and I'd rather make a queen sized quilt. That seems to be all I sell.
    Last edited by Battle Axe; 12-15-2018 at 11:42 AM.

What a great piece! I get it about waiting to long Hope you come up with a plan you love!
    Harriet
    https://www.facebook.com/Thelaststitch
    Handi Quilter International Educator

Can you scoot your new corner under the edge until it will line up, then mark the edge and pin the correct seam allowance? Love what you did with the corner.
    The measurements I gave would have been oversized to cut down but you should be able to adjust by trimming the diagonal. Sorry to cause more stress!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Blog Entries
    No extra stress. Just have a good friend flat on her back with a bone spur hitting the siatica nerve. Surgery on 21st.

I just wonder what did I start out doing?

Do you want to make a queen out of it, or just finish it up as is? I like Dunster's idea.

Blog Entries
    I really want to make a Queen quilt. But I think I am getting it too busy. My style is conservative minimalism. I'll put a pic up when I find a happy place. Want to use up fabric, but am having to rob out of scraps.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I like the log cabin corners much better than the white setting triangle. (I think the white is too white). It looks more complete with the log cabin corners than just adding a corner setting to square it off.
    Last edited by Ellen 1; 12-16-2018 at 10:35 AM.

I also like the log cabin corners. Love the colors.

What a beauty. I along with others admire what you are doing. I like the log cabin corners also. If you are able to square it up with that type of corner you could then border it with plain borders and scale it to more conservative on the outside of the quilt. I think its a beautiful middle. It could really be a spectacular quilt.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Use it as the center to a medallion quilt, then you can use bigger pieces and borders to get the size you want.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.