Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's School Glue instead of pinning?  Do you really do this? >

Elmer's School Glue instead of pinning? Do you really do this?

Elmer's School Glue instead of pinning? Do you really do this?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:44 AM

What happens in a few years? Does it discolor or harden the area even though you rinse it out?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM

I belong to a quilting group in southeast georgia. One of our quilters had shown us her technique using the elmer school glue for binding. It is and was an awesome lesson. I use the Elmer's Clear School Glue. It helps me so much then I machine stich to secure the binding in place.I love this method as a Needle and My fingers, Not a winner in heaven. By the way if the quilter who taught this to our group is reading this, WE MISS YOU SO MUCH. YOUR ARE LOVED AND NEVER FORGOTTEN. GENNIE
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM

I too use school glue for holding bindings together before sewing the final seam, whether I stitch by hand or machine. Sharon Schamber has videos to show how to do it. Any washable glue will work. I usually make art quilts and don't bother to wash them. Don't use too much glue, because then your fabric will get stiff and it'll be difficult to hand sew.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
LOL, it's what I asked for Christmas!! My kids know I'm nuts so they didn't bat an eye when I asked for a gallon of Elmer's School Glue for Christmas!!!
You can get it by the gallon on ebay for $15 or so.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 PM

I have never changed the tip off my glue bottle. I just purchase a large bottle and a small one and transfer the glue into the small bottle and have never had a problem with globs of glue coming out.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 AM

I use glue to especially on the binding..it holds beautifully when I go to sew, the results are great. You should give it a try..

Last edited by labtechkty; 01-13-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 AM

I just finished my first quilt using only Elmer's School Glue for basting my quilt sandwich. Not a pin anywhere and it is smooth, smooth, smooth! Usually, I thread baste because I don't like machine quilting around all the pins I used to baste with. Didn't notice any drag or anything when I went through the glue. I have a 6' banquet table that I baste on, and I did it in sections - glued 1/3 of quilt starting in the middle and let it dry an hour or so. I will DEFINITELY be doing this again...forever! The quilt I just finished is roughly twin size. It's technically a lap quilt, but I like them long enough to tuck under feet and go all the way to my chin, plus tuck around whoever while they're laying on the couch for a nap, LOL. I was making tons of doll clothes in between quilting, so it got moved on and off my sewing table and nothing moved. It was wonderful.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM

Have used the glue and it really works. Love it! For the first time I can quilt my own quilts as they stay where I put them. LOL
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by clements View Post
What happens in a few years? Does it discolor or harden the area even though you rinse it out?
I have never used it in a quilt that I was not going to wash. Several people on another site said that if you do not wash it out, it will draw bugs.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM

As I've been working on Bonnie's Easy Street quilt, I've been planning on using this technique, just have to finish putting all those blocks together!