Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's School Glue >

Elmer's School Glue

Elmer's School Glue

Old 02-02-2017, 05:44 AM

Since I can't find the needle applying tops for the Elmer's bottles, think I'll pass on it.

Most of the stores I go to are promoting the gel.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:54 AM

You know they sell Elmer's in half and gallon size at some office supplies.....store in cool area, it comes with a pump so you can fill squeeze bottles.....made for teachers.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:55 AM

Isn't technology wonderful? I found a bottle of school glue out of place the other day, somebody had left it in the valentine cards section. I checked to see that they hadn't jacked up the price (I still refuse to pay too much for it) and bought it to add to my stash.
Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
the world has changed.....and I might be old, but I am choosing to change with it. I am tired of trudging from store to store looking for common items like glue and trying to out guess why stores don't have it. When I do find it, I am "grateful" to pay what they are asking. More often than not, I am going home tired and empty handed. Now, I skip the day trip shopping, I stay home and order it on line from the best price of vendors who have it in stock and deliver to my door in 2-3 days. I use all that time I use to shop quilting. I am the happiest old lady around.... elmer's stick glue I bought about a month ago , I think it was a 60 pack, yes 60, for 1/2 price and free shipping. My hubby laughed, my wallet and I were happy. And...yes....back to quilting.....
Old 02-02-2017, 05:57 AM

I buy a gallon from Amazon. Refill small bottles as needed, last a LONG time.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I needed some this week and the Dollar Tree had none of any kind and the Kmart next door had one lonely tiny bottle of Elmers Washable School Glue for $1.39 which I bought since I figured my time and gas are worth something to try and drive around and find it cheaper. Anyway, if I were going to stock up from either Amazon or if I run into it locally, should I go for the gallon size or smaller bottles? I am not that prolific re producing quilts. Will it go bad? Is it easy enough to get it into the smaller bottles without wasting or making a huge washable mess? It usually takes me one small bottle to glue baste one of my quilts. I don't normally make huge ones, more in the lap size. I don't dilute and paint or spray on, just drizzle it in a kind of grid.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
Hasn't been in supermarkets or even some other craft stores. The tips for the bottles seem to have disappeared, too.
Amazon had them, now can't find. Only one quilting store.

I think they are changing to gel as it doesn't drip. That I have seen. Maybe preschool is getting tired of cleaning up after little kids. With overloaded classrooms in some cases, I don't blame them.

If the maker of Eileen's or Quilter's Choice would do something about new tips for bottles, --------

I resent having to buy more glue to get a new bottle which is what's available in LQS. I haven't used up all the old one before the tip buggered and no amount of hot water and soap can fix.

I did finally find some larger bottles, but no extra tips for those, either.
If the tip to my bottle gets clogged, I take a needle or straight pin and gouge it out, problem solved.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by GeeGee View Post
If the tip to my bottle gets clogged, I take a needle or straight pin and gouge it out, problem solved.
Tried that. It tends to clog on the bottom of the tip not the top. You have to take the top off. I've had a heavier pin pull the needle out of the top. I've soaked them in hot water, too. I can't find a nail skinny enough. My quilting pins bend.

I don't use them enough. I do one article at a time. If it takes me 6 months to finish, it takes 6 months. The glue just sits all that time. I bought the one big bottle of the quilt glue 5 years ago and it isn't empty yet.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:07 PM

I have no problem finding Elmer's glue at Walgreen's.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:33 PM

I bought 2 gallon jugs from Amazon a couple of years ago, can't remember the price but it was much cheaper than buying dozens of the little bottle & still have some left. I just looked at Amazon, no bargain prices but it was there, all in the $20 plus range. Then I looked at Walmart.com, they have a gallon for $13.95, don't know what shipping would be but if you have a Walmart near you you can have it shipped to store at no shipping charge to you.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:14 PM

I'm just reading this thread after searching Walmart for glue this afternoon. They only had 1 bottle of Elmers, but cases of the Crazyart glue. Didn't realize quilters used so much glue!