Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elna machine question >

Elna machine question

Elna machine question

Old 11-28-2016, 04:04 PM

Default Elna machine question

I bought an Elna 6003 Quilter's Dream off Ebay - -- I am concerned about getting something like that off ebay, but...

this Elna seems to be sewing backwards

I don't have a manual yet its on its way

does anyone know if that is normal for Elna? or is there a switch that is flipped?
Old 11-28-2016, 04:23 PM

The same thing happened with my old Viking. It is because the oil has hardened inside. It needs to be serviced. If you do a google search, you might find a video that shows a do-it-yourself fix.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:23 PM

I have an Elna 7200 Quilter's Dream which is probably very similar to your 6003. I haven't heard of this problem, so I went to my manual. The key right above the start/stop key is the reverse key. The manual says that if the foot control is disconnected, the machine will sew in reverse until you release the key. Any help? You can read a lot of manuals on-line these days. Just search for Elna 6003 Quilter's Dream Manual. You might get lucky and it's available.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:49 PM

Thank you for your replies

The same thing happened with my old Viking. It is because the oil has hardened inside. It needs to be serviced. If you do a google search, you might find a video that shows a do-it-yourself fix.
There is a sticker that says it was serviced 11/1/16 maybe I will call them and see if they remember this machine.

The manual says that if the foot control is disconnected, the machine will sew in reverse until you release the key
well the foot control is connected, but I can try something down this line to see if it will make a difference
Old 11-29-2016, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I bought an Elna 6003 Quilter's Dream off Ebay - -- I am concerned about getting something like that off ebay, but...

this Elna seems to be sewing backwards

I don't have a manual yet its on its way

does anyone know if that is normal for Elna? or is there a switch that is flipped?
If you got a bargain, still worth having it serviced. Elna's are good machines.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:50 AM

I have had the 6004 since the late 1990's and have never seen this issue. I wonder if there is just something stuck with the reverse button? Mine has been a dream machine, so I would give the opinion that it is worth fixing!
Old 11-29-2016, 02:50 PM

I talked to the man who serviced the machine on 11/1/16 and he said that he didn't have any problems.

Do you think the wrong bobbin could cause some crazy problems like that?
Old 11-29-2016, 04:54 PM

I'd check to make sure the bobbin case isn't backwards/upside down.... Or that the bobbin is turning the right way? Mine feeds out from the left side under the plastic piece but is coming off the bobbin counterclockwise I think...

Stupid idea, but does the machine have a reverse button/lever? Can you start sewing (backwards) and then hit the button/lever to see if it goes forward? Just sounds like something got put in backwards.....

I did find a manual online, but you said you had ordered one....
Old 11-29-2016, 05:19 PM

thanks everyone for your thoughts.....whats funny is today after I took the bobbin out and the spool of thread off the machine goes forward.

I don't have the emotional strength to try to do the bobbin and thread the machine again this evening. maybe tomorrow
Old 11-30-2016, 04:30 AM

I bought a machine a few years back off Ebay. It too ran in reverse. Found out the gave me the wrong foot peddle. I spoke with the sales person, but they insisted it was the right foot peddle. So I wound up having to purchase the correct foot peddle here locally.