Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Embrodiery floss question

Embrodiery floss question

I am starting a new project and it tells me to pre-wash my floss before I emb. I have never done that before and wonder just how do you do it? Do I take it out of the skein and then lay it flat to dry or leave it all folded together. Wouldn't that make it hard to dry? I don't want to ruin all my work if it runs. Any help?

Hi, I have been doing X Stitch for 30 odd years and have never washed my floss. I use DMC and have never had a problem. I wash my work in cool water when I have finished it.

Me either. I agree with pamelainsa I never wash before I'm done unless there is a catastrophic accident like spilling coffee on the piece. Never had a problem.

Blog Entries
    I've been emroidering and cross stitching since I was a child ( when dinosaurs still roamed the earth) and I have NEVER washed floss before using it. I can't imagine how or why you would do it but I can assure you that I won't be trying it.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

I have actually had some of the reds bleed a little, even while I was working on them. I think you could just soak them for a little while in cold water and rinse them until the water stays clear. And then let them air dry.

Power Poster
    I think they have suggested to wash in case they bleed. If they are already warning of a bleed, I would test a section of each colour. Take a wad of about 8 inches and put it in hot water. Take it out of the hot water and put it onto a white paper towel/kleenex. When it's dry, check the towel for stains. If it bleeds, I wouldn't use it. I have never washed my floss but I have switched to the pearl cotton thread on the little ball for embroidery. I still pre-test a section even though it says colourfast on it.

When I made my Winter Wonderland I soaked each skein of variegated red Anchor floss in warm water first. Just lay the whole skein paper & all in the sink. Lay out on a RAG after because if there is any excess dye it will colour your towel..... ask me how I know!

Blog Entries
    I have never heard of washing floss. Lots of cross stitch in my background. I would not take it out of the skein if I were going to. Just gently swish it in a sink of warm water with little soap and rinse. Lay the skeins on a towel to air dry. They are so small it shoudn't take long or ruin the floss. Maybe pull the paper off the end and tape it and a color snip to a paper so you have a reference before you wash it. I don't think it will hurt to wash it except that some colors may run. I have never had this happen. good luck.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I have always used DMC and it is colourfast. I do have a kit somewhere (a gift) that says prewash the floss provided but if I ever get around to doing it I won't use the floss and will just buy my usual DMC.

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    I have been doing needlework for a long time, and have never washed the floss. I would think it might be better to replace the floss with a brand that doesn't need to be pre-washed.

Thanks for all the replies. There is some dark purple in this kit and I may use the suggestion of putting the whole skein in warm/hot water and then on a rag or paper towel to see if it runs. That is my only concern. I have never done it before in all the years I have been emb. This says colorfast but I guess it is insurance.