Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Embroidery Blocks

Any of the star blocks which have a large square area in the centre would work, even if you put some of them on point. The colours are lovely.

Gorgeous!!

These are beautiful.

what a coincidence! I started with these and the jacobean wings and things package yesterday. There are 9 designs in each one. What I hope to do, is make 12 inch blocks, with sashing around each, and make 1 design block, then have a blank block, alternating...you might do this and add the names in the blank blocks...you could slant the names, or align them with the blocks, and just do a solid quilt design, or free motion, in the blank blocks..
    I cut 2 blocks, yesterday, one side was 12 inches, the other sides slanted to 11 inches....so I put things away, until today, maybe I will do better....lol...
    I love the designs from emb library, I have bought most of mine from Debra.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh, these are stunning!! I can also see them appliqued with fabric in a beautiful quilt.

These are so beautiful and your work is remarkable.

Check out how it would look if you would embroider a name along the curve of some part of the flower like the stem or a tendril.

I really like that idea of the person's flower for their birthmonth or the other one where you have the flower blocks and solid blocks with either one name or maybe each family with their names together on a block.

Awesome ideas ladies. I have the Innovis 4500D and I MUST get the Jacobbean designs... I love them. I'm already thinking of making Mom a quilt for Christmas like this. Please post more pics when you are finished your quilt.
    I'm sure it will be beautiful!!

I wouldn't want to take away from the embroidery designs and I think if you do to intricate of a block you may do just that I was thinking something like a snowball block or a block that has not a lot of pieces in it. This is just my opinion though . I don't do a lot of pieced blocks in my quilts because of all the embroidery I try to incorporate.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I also like the idea of putting the names in the sashing. You could use different color thread for the different families, like you and all your kids/grand kids would be in blue, your sister & her family in green etc. Pull the colors from the embroidery designs. I've done a lot of name embroidery and what I would do is write all the names down. Figure out the longest one and select a font size that will accomodate the name in the space you want to fill. Then use that same font size for all the rest of the names. It gives a more cohesive look. If you have embroidery software, I would pull a small motif from the design, like that little flower thingy on the 'tail' from the first picture you posted. Then you could use this motif to pad out some of the shorter names. So like if you have an Esmerelda and an Ann, you could embroider ;-) Ann ;-), but instead of the smiley faces,you'd put the small motif. Again, this sort of evens everything out.
    Good tips. Thank you. I don't have embroidery software so I will have to find a way to make the names look balanced.

Do all the family members live close enough to sign the blocks themselves? Not the embroidery blocks but the other blocks or use a light enough fabric for the border of the quilt and they could sign that and then not take away from your quilt. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by zoey
    Do all the family members live close enough to sign the blocks themselves? Not the embroidery blocks but the other blocks or use a light enough fabric for the border of the quilt and they could sign that and then not take away from your quilt. Just a thought.
    I don't think that would work because some are very young children/babies. Also I'm in Alabama and everyone else is in Florida.

Power Poster
    They are beautiful.

Just beautiful. and I am sure whatever you come up with will be as well........May I ask what kind of stabilizer you used.....thanks Rita

I don't think that would work because some are very young children/babies. Also I'm in Alabama and everyone else is in Florida.[/quote]

sounds like......ROADTRIP! lol

scb
    It would be beautiful anyway you decide to do it. I would most likely use a solid strip between each block (like the green in the stem) so as not to distract from the blocks but to make them POP more. Than a nice border that would use all the colors, and backing to match. Good Luck, would love to see when you have it completed.

I got the innovis 4000 D and it does great embroidery

I was thinking yesterday as I was doing mine, for 25 names, maybe you could add them along the borders, or sashing, if you add any..I think that would be nice to add them along the sashing that fits along the edges of the bed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Are you wanting to create your own embroidery for machine embroidery or hand embroidery?
    Maybe you could do something like the flower of the month (using a flower for each month the person was born). Then put the person's name and birth date on that same block.
    I am sure with that many to do, you want to keep it fairly simple so you can get it done by Mother's Day so I would not do anything terribly elaborate.
    But I do love you idea! good luck :)
    this is what I would have done also

OB
    I also agree about the names, using the sashes wn't take away from the beautiful flowers :roll:

Blog Entries
    I've seen that embroidery,i just wish i could figure out on how to get those beautiful embroidery flowers.Connie in CO

Those are beautiful, and I'm sure anything will go perfect with them.

Power Poster
    I'm stumped on suggestions but I love the embroidered blocks. They are stunning.

Blog Entries
    Can you tell me where to look for those flowers in embroidery Library.Connie in CO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast