Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Embroidery Blocks

I want to make a quilt for my mom for mothers day with the names of all her children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren. There are 25 of us to list on the quilt. I also want to incorporate some of these embroidery designs. Any ideas on what type block would look good with the embroidery where I can also embroider names in the blocks. There are 9 different embroidery designs to use in the quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

These are beautiful and will look wonderful however you arrange them. What kind of machine do you have, and where can these designs be found?
    Thanks!

I think that's a wonderful idea. I'm not very creative without a pattern to follow so I guess I don't really have a good suggestion for you. The only thing I came up with was to embroider each person's name in a block and use the flowers in alternate blocks with something else. And I realize that isn't very helpful! The flowers are beautiful though.

Are you wanting to create your own embroidery for machine embroidery or hand embroidery?
    Maybe you could do something like the flower of the month (using a flower for each month the person was born). Then put the person's name and birth date on that same block.
    I am sure with that many to do, you want to keep it fairly simple so you can get it done by Mother's Day so I would not do anything terribly elaborate.
    But I do love you idea! good luck :)

This is when I wish I had an embroidery machine :)

Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    These are beautiful and will look wonderful however you arrange them. What kind of machine do you have, and where can these designs be found?
    Thanks!
    I have the Brother Quattro 6000D. I got the design at the emblibrary.com. They are called Jacobean Florals

I also have the Quattero 6000 and this type of jacobean works up just beautiful- If you don't want to put the names IN the same block as the flower, how about using a sashing between and embroider the names on the sashing...

Absolutely gorgeous. I agree with Cindy for the names.

i love the jacobean designs, too.

those are so pretty!

they are all very nice designs

Just got our Brother 2800D and have way too many ideas of what to do!

These would be sooo nice...sigh, need more time!

Blog Entries
    I have some of those and they sew our very nice! I put them on cotton kitchen towels
    What a great idea for your Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by c1bendt
    I also have the Quattero 6000 and this type of jacobean works up just beautiful- If you don't want to put the names IN the same block as the flower, how about using a sashing between and embroider the names on the sashing...
    Thats a really good idea. Then I wouldn't have to make such a large quilt. She would probably want to display it over the back of her sofa or something anyway rather than using it as a bed quilt. She has all King beds in her house. It will be a challenge to get the names all in, there are 25 of us counting our kids and their kids...big family.

Super Member HummerGardenCrafts's Avatar
    Beautiful blocks!

Wow! Those are beautiful!!!

i like the idear of using the sashing strips for the names --alternate the blocks with colour /small floral fabric --the sashing a plain colour to highlight the letters-------nice designs

Those designs are beautiful. I think a square in a square block with the inner square with the embroidered name would look good and use colors from the flowers as the outer part of the block. Looking forward to seeing it when finished whatever you decide to do.

Those flowers are so delicate and graceful. What a beautiful quilt they are going to make. I think greensleeves idea is great.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Love the blocks too. WOw....

Blog Entries
    I also like the idea of putting the names in the sashing. You could use different color thread for the different families, like you and all your kids/grand kids would be in blue, your sister & her family in green etc. Pull the colors from the embroidery designs. I've done a lot of name embroidery and what I would do is write all the names down. Figure out the longest one and select a font size that will accomodate the name in the space you want to fill. Then use that same font size for all the rest of the names. It gives a more cohesive look. If you have embroidery software, I would pull a small motif from the design, like that little flower thingy on the 'tail' from the first picture you posted. Then you could use this motif to pad out some of the shorter names. So like if you have an Esmerelda and an Ann, you could embroider ;-) Ann ;-), but instead of the smiley faces,you'd put the small motif. Again, this sort of evens everything out.

Excellent idea!

I like this idea too as it won't affect the beauty of the florals.

I don't know what type of block would look good with the embroidered blocks, but maybe if you look at sample quilts you'll be able to imagine them in a quilt.

Part of it will depend on how large the embroidered blocks are.

The blocks are absolutely beautiful. I'm looking for a machine to combine embroidery and quilting. (Looking at the Brother's sister - the Ellisimo)

Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    Absolutely gorgeous. I agree with Cindy for the names.
    I vote with Cindy, too.

Blog Entries
    Flowers a pretty. Where can I find them?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast