Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery for FMQ?? >

Embroidery for FMQ??

Embroidery for FMQ??

Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Davida
Help. I can't do FMQ no matter how much I practice. My questions is has anyone tried using the embroidery designs to quilt. They have the newer machine with the big hoops and they sell quilting designs such as Stippling etc? Or does anyone have a bernina that has a stitch regulator?How does it work for FMQ? I can't afford a Free Arm so I am trying to figure another way. Please Help.
http://www.emblibrary.com has quilting motifs. I have never had trouble with any of their designs and they are a lot cheaper than buying the cd's.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by smtp5
I thought that you could just hoop the stabilizer and not the quilt, just position it..or spray with adhesive?
I use either a sticky stabilizer or spray adhesive and only hoop the stabilizer not the quilt. My machine has a fix which holds whatever I am embroidering on so it doesn't move. the hooping was the hardest part for me. I was very glad when I learned how to do the non-hoop.
:)
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
This quilt was quilted with 2 different designs...

The star where the blocks meet is a design on my embroidery machine...just hooped it and positioned it...and pushed the "start" button.

Then in the white stripes, I used my walking foot and one of the built-in stitches in my regular sewing machine.
I like that; never thought of doing that; I have a Bernina 730E and have gotten some .art files for quilt blocks online - I'll have to test them out on my next baby quilt for my new GS whose coming in December. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Davida
Help. I can't do FMQ no matter how much I practice. My questions is has anyone tried using the embroidery designs to quilt. They have the newer machine with the big hoops and they sell quilting designs such as Stippling etc? Or does anyone have a bernina that has a stitch regulator?How does it work for FMQ? I can't afford a Free Arm so I am trying to figure another way. Please Help.
I have a Bernina with the BSR and it hasn't helped me at all. I am just not coordinated enough , I guess but I have used the designs and done all over stippling on a baby blanket. People say-- practice--practice--practice but I could have done a King size quilt and I am still terrible. If you find any secrets let me know... Good luck.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:51 PM

Don't get discouraged with your free-motion quilting just yet! It takes so much practice, but it's a great skill to have. If you learn basic free-motion skills with your sewing machine you will transition easier into the BSR. I have a BSR on my machine and love it, but it does take some getting used to. I have used machine embroidery for quilting, it works well but I prefer it for QAYG so I don't have the whole bulk of the quilt to work with.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
You'd have to hoop the whole sandwich if you wanted the embroidery to be your "quilting". Just loosen the nut on your hoop almost all the way so you can get it in there. I does work nicely, I have the Janome 11000se just so I could stipple in the hoop and embroider instead of FMQ.
I just bought the Janome 11000...can you explain to me how to do what you're talking about? Haven't had machine long but FMQ is difficult for me. I do practice and have done a few projects but getting tension right and keeping stitches even and design balanced is hard for me.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:56 AM
Banned

I have used the embroidery designs for quilting. I call them one line designs. Many of the stencil designs in The Stencil Co catalog, that I designed have been converted to CD. They work well. I have also taught classes using them on the ragged edge quilts. They are really good for this as the layers are stacked and size is managable. I have also quilted individual blocks on crib size quilts using them. The only thing is hooping them up for quilting.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 AM

I have used my embroidery machine to quilt. Once on a Double irish Chain for my niece's wedding - I did celtic knots in the open spaces. Then on a flannel rag quilt I used a sort of floral design to hold the centers of the blocks. Be sure to use a light tear away or water soluble stablilzer, though.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by quilter53
Originally Posted by smtp5
I thought that you could just hoop the stabilizer and not the quilt, just position it..or spray with adhesive?
I use either a sticky stabilizer or spray adhesive and only hoop the stabilizer not the quilt. My machine has a fix which holds whatever I am embroidering on so it doesn't move. the hooping was the hardest part for me. I was very glad when I learned how to do the non-hoop.
:)
When you say your machine has a fix that holds it on.....do you mean that it bastes it before it starts to embroider? I just bought an embroidery machine that has a large hoop so I can embroider my quilts like this as I am not good with FMQ either. I intend to try and practice but until then do not want to ruin my quilts I currently need quilted. I have put too much time into some of these tops tp ruin them with my inexperience in fmq. Hoping I can use the embroidery quilting method till I acquire some fmq skills. I also bought this machine because it has the function of using the start/stop button to sew with out the foot pedal and was told this made fmq a little easier. Anything to help me get to mastering this fmq skill. I can't keep sending my tops out for someone to do on the longarm. Besides that I want to finish them myself. I will never be able to buy my own longarm enless I win the lottery. lol
Old 10-28-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by roseville rose
Do you use any stabilizer or just hoop it and go for it?
I don't hoop the quilt sandwich. When you do other embroidery, and remove the sticky back, use a pin to make a window around the area that will be quilted and peel the center off. Save these used ones for quilting. Put the sulky sticky back in the hoop (not the quilt sandwich)
and use a pin to outline the edges, leaving the rest of the sticky sulky. Then put the hoop on the machine. Lay the quilt sandwich on top (not in the hoop) Center where the needle will center and center the quilting outline pattern.
That's all there is to it. It might be better to use a quilt as you go, or do a section of the quilt at a time. It is fun.