Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery for FMQ?? >

Embroidery for FMQ??

Embroidery for FMQ??

Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
This quilt was quilted with 2 different designs...

The star where the blocks meet is a design on my embroidery machine...just hooped it and positioned it...and pushed the "start" button.

Then in the white stripes, I used my walking foot and one of the built-in stitches in my regular sewing machine.
I really like your quilt and using the stitchs from your machine is pretty. What size is your blocks in this quilt? And what size is the star design? I have a quilt top with 12 inch blocks in it but my hoop is only 6inchs wide. Just wondering if I could get away with using a 6 by 6 inch embroidery quilt design in the center of my blocks would be enough? I really like this idea because i am not good at FMQ either.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Corry

The star where the blocks meet is a design on my embroidery machine...just hooped it and positioned it...and pushed the "start" button.

Then in the white stripes, I used my walking foot and one of the built-in stitches in my regular sewing machine.
I really like your quilt and using the stitchs from your machine is pretty. What size is your blocks in this quilt? And what size is the star design? I have a quilt top with 12 inch blocks in it but my hoop is only 6inchs wide. Just wondering if I could get away with using a 6 by 6 inch embroidery quilt design in the center of my blocks would be enough? I really like this idea because i am not good at FMQ either.
A 6x6 inch hoop probably embroiders no more than 5x5. You might try thinking of the 12 square inches as a grid - 4 6x6 squares & quilt 2 OR all 4 of them - or 9 4x4 squares & quilt 5 of them like a 9 patch. Of course, this depends on the block itself.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by Corry

A 6x6 inch hoop probably embroiders no more than 5x5. You might try thinking of the 12 square inches as a grid - 4 6x6 squares & quilt 2 OR all 4 of them - or 9 4x4 squares & quilt 5 of them like a 9 patch. Of course, this depends on the block itself.
Are you a Snowbird? I'm in AZ too but temporarily. Am so interested in using Embroidery for FMQ. Trying to learn embroidery function on my Pfaff 2170. Have had machine for 3 yrs but have not even tried to use it....well, once...with no success so it sits in the box....UGH!! Store lessons were terrible so I'm on my own. Thanks for the tips you've given.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM

Hi! I had the same problem and then realized that my fear of FMQ was my problem. I bought an inexpensive quilt from Wallie's World brought it home, took my time and began practicing quilting around the flowers in each square (they were large). I worked at it without the fear of ruining my hard work on my own quilt and it wasn't long before I was able to FMQ with my Pfaff and no special stitch attachments. I do wish that the makers of sewing machines would design a longer base. 9 inches just is too small. It can be done, but it takes patience and love. Good luck!