Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery for FMQ?? >

Embroidery for FMQ??

Embroidery for FMQ??

Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
FMQ is a matter of lots of practice and learning to relax. This is not a life and death situation so don't sweat it. As for the BSR, there are mixed opinions. I personally don't care for it - I tend to move faster than the machine can keep up with.
I have the same opinion of the BSR! It was just annoying to
me when I test drove it, the saleswoman said that I've been doing so long without out that I didn't need it.
I agreed with her.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 PM

Trying to understand. To embroider on a quilt, I can sandwich it within the hoop and let it rip? I don't need to use stabilizer or anything else, just put it in the hoop and go? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:13 PM

the quilt patterns you can buy on the net are great. i use them all the time. i have a janomi 11000se with the quilting upgrade and the magnetic quilting hoop. i got hooked on machine embroidering my blocks. hope i can get the pics to attach. my dealer is putting my 11000 on ebay this weekend, i'm getting a multiple needle machine. will piece on my 30 yr old workhorse. go to "JANOMI AMERICA" to see the quilting features i'm talking about. enjoy, connie
sorry, couldn't get the pics to attach will try again
Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
You'd have to hoop the whole sandwich if you wanted the embroidery to be your "quilting". Just loosen the nut on your hoop almost all the way so you can get it in there. I does work nicely, I have the Janome 11000se just so I could stipple in the hoop and embroider instead of FMQ.
I just bought the Janome 11000...can you explain to me how to do what you're talking about? Haven't had machine long but FMQ is difficult for me. I do practice and have done a few projects but getting tension right and keeping stitches even and design balanced is hard for me.
do you have the quilting upgrade? it comes with a large magnetic hoop. watch the video with marie osmond about quilting on janomi's site "janomi america" . take a class from your dealer if you can
Old 10-28-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I just have the Brother SE-400 machine and I recently used it to do "outline" stitching on the quilt I made. I downloaded the designs from an embroidery site. I loved how it turned out and will definately use the embroidery again to do my quilting. This is the reason I bought the machine.
ohhhh i wish i had a embroidery machine after hearing that you can quilt instead FMQ on the quilt , it looks great on the quilts ive seen it used on
Old 10-28-2010, 09:11 PM

I have the Bernina BSR and truly love it. I don't try to go so fast. I just relax and the stitches are perfect every time. I also have it on my Gracie frame.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 PM

I do both. I hoop the quilt like some have said, stitch it out then sometimes fill in with FMQ. One teacher took us to a famous person's work in a book and said "look at her stitches" "she wins awards and her's are not perfect" "so get over it and enjoy it". That was freeing for me and I have been doing it myself every since.

What is fun on the Janome 11000 is to resize circles or stars and over lap some then quilt that all over a baby quilt.

I also use painters tape on the hoop grid so I know where the design will go. I seem to be able to move the hoop around and quilt quite a bit that way fitting them in.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:20 AM

I have a Janome 11000SE. It comes with automatic stippling patterns. I used them to stipple the entire border of a quilt and it looked great. The trick is to make sure you line up the border exactly each time you re-hoop. Then it's almost impossible to tell where the pattern stopped and started. I have also made blocks with an embroidery design in the center and stippling around the design. It looks great.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Davida
Help. I can't do FMQ no matter how much I practice. My questions is has anyone tried using the embroidery designs to quilt. They have the newer machine with the big hoops and they sell quilting designs such as Stippling etc? Or does anyone have a bernina that has a stitch regulator?How does it work for FMQ? I can't afford a Free Arm so I am trying to figure another way. Please Help.
I have a B with stitch regulator, and have not practiced enough to FMQ. Thanks for jogging my memory, need to put that high on my priority list for 2011. Oh My!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by memereof8
What machine did you use. Love it
I'm still using my good old Pfaff 2140 upgraded to 2170. It dosn't have the wide throat of the new ones, so I can't do the BIG designs, but I had no trouble with this quilt. I think I could embroider/quilt up to a full size.

I've FMQed a queen size, but I think I would have trouble trying to use a hoop with a quilt that big. It's not the hoop itself, it's trying to stuff the rest of the quilt past it that would be the problem. I could do it if I used one of Marti Mitchell's methods and quilted only part of the quilt at a time.