Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery machine quilt backs >

Embroidery machine quilt backs

Embroidery machine quilt backs

Old 06-12-2014, 03:40 AM

"I've read & seen embroidery done on quilts. They did NOT thread the machine for embroidery"

What des this mean?? My machine threads the same way for each function. Please rife....anyone??!
psandy
Old 06-12-2014, 06:08 AM

I have done the Hoop Sister's Flying Geese and Feathered Star. The backing is floated under the hoop at a point in the embroidery process. You use a special ruler to trim away the extra batting and stablizer leaving your fabric untrimmed. You trim the fabric to half inch then after blocks are sewn together you make sashings using the half inch of fabric border. The hoop sisters have a video showing how to do it. It is way more work than I want to do so I skip the step that adds the backing material and add a complete back when I am done. I then stitch in the ditch. For the feather star I had it LA and she did a large stipple because there was no clear path to SITD.[ATTACH=CONFIG]478834[/ATTACH]the video from Hoop Sisters is in connection with their current Mystery Quilt.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I've also wondered how you do this. If you are talking about embroidery designs made specifically for quilting, I will try adjusting the upper tension as suggested above. However, if you want to do an embroidery design and then incorporate it into a quilt top, I am definitely looking for the correct way to do this. I recently posted a baby quilt I did with embroidered designs. I doubled the background fabric (thought it would look better) and used tear away stabilizer. After the design was embroidered, I sewed the square to the quilt top and then proceeded with the batting and backing and basting. I was doing SID but felt like I needed to stitch inside by the design. FMQ would have been perfect but I am not confident doing it. I am quite sure there are better ways to go about incorporating embroidery designs into quilts and will watch this with great interest.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t248102.html
I did something very similar, with great success. I LOVE your baby quilt - the colors are just super!! And I have those same embroidery patterns!! Aren't they great?!?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 PM

Location: San Isidro de San Ramon, Costa Rica & Calgary, Canada

If you are doing an embroidery design, as opposed to a quilting design, it is always best to do the embroidery first using the correct backing for embroidery and then cut the fabric to the size for the quilt and sew as usual. A quilting design should be mainly running stitch so it would be done on the quilt sandwich but in the hoop.