Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
embroidery machines >

embroidery machines

embroidery machines

Old 07-29-2010, 02:49 AM

I am looking to invest in an embroidery machine but have no idea what brands to stay away from what brands are better what to look for and so on. Can anyone give pointers? I just want to use it for personal use and not production purposes. I want it to be able to do larger designs. I don't even know how much to expect them to cost. HELP
Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 AM

I have had several and the ones that were priced under $2000 were really junk.
now this is just my experience
but I think you should go to your local dealer and try some out. Plan on spending a few hours there.
also you want a local dealer as these need more frequent( I have found) servicing.
I personally like Viking
Old 07-29-2010, 03:00 AM

I have a Viking Rose from 1996, but never tried another. You need to go to a dealer & have them let you try using the machine they are selling. It always looks so easy when someone else demonstrates. Make sure you get the lesson on the use of stabalizers.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:38 AM

Be prepared to pay, the larger embroidery area on the machine, the more the price will be, good suggestion to go to the dealer, there they will answer all your questions, then you can shop around, but always buy from a dealer so you can have your machined serviced as needed.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 AM

My suggestion would be to take a design on a usb stick and stitch out the same design on 3 or 4 machines. It could be a simple 2 or 3 color design. It will take you some time and effort, but you will experience how the color changes work etc. Then you will discover that some machines do things differently and you will discover what really appeals to you.

On my Pfaff 2140, that I've had for many years, I love that I can go back to a particular stitch number or color number and start stitching again. (incase of a break in thread etc).

I'm getting ready to sell my Pfaff, so that I can get a new Pfaff that has the USB stick.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:57 AM

I have Vikings. I started with a Designer I and have graduated to the Designer Diamond. You could buy a nice used car for the same price, but I wanted the large design area also. And it is great for quilting as there is a greater distance on the sewing bed. It has USB and computer capabilities. It cuts threads between color changes, remembers where you stopped, and tells you if thread is caught in the bobbin area. You can also sew regular without removing the embroidery bed. There is a wide range of prices in the Vikings and I love the support you get from them. You do need to service your embroidery machines, I do mine yearly. But it is an investment just like a car. It is well worth the $100 it costs me. Just make sure you get a good demonstration of each one you look at. They are all so different.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 AM

I would try out a variety of machines. I have a Husqvarna Iris. It was fine but..you had to use a magic box or a card. I have a Bernina 730..it has all the bells and whistles..you can download embroidery designs from the internet, use a usb stick or load the designs into the machine. It also accepts design cards. I love the quality of designs that the machine puts out.
There are a lot of machines out there..the Bernina is my preference. Bernina also has lesser priced models with the same quality. Happy hunting!
Peace and Blessings
Old 07-29-2010, 04:54 AM

When it comes to embroidery machines, you get what
you pay for. I have an older Bernina 180E-1999. Its the only embroidery machine I've had but am totally satisfied with it.
The designs sew out really great.
I usually use the 8 X 10 hoop for 5 X 7 designs.
Also use the 51/2 X 71/2 for 4 X 4 designs. If a new machine isn't in your budget, look for a used machine.
Check out several, sew on them and see which one you like.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 AM

It all depends on how much you want to spend. A stand alone EM with a 5 x 7 embroidery area start around $7-800. Brother and Babylock also have an inexpensive combo machine with a 4 x 4 area for less money than that. I started out with a Brother PE150 with 4x4 then upgraded to a Babylock Emore with 5 x 7. I have found that I don't embroider enough to justify a larger, more expensive machine. They can run into the KKK's.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 AM

I posted these recommendations on another thread just recently

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-54881-1.htm#1314110

I agree with mlaceruby and pieces - the more inexpensive ones are not necessarily user friendly and do not have a lot of options. The used market is a great place to look - make sure that the person selling has had it maintained.