Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
embroidery machines >

embroidery machines

embroidery machines

Old 07-31-2010, 02:06 PM

I have typed this out a few times on this board - I think I need to save this in a text file lol.

I started off with a Janome 350e which I paid a little under a grand for. I loved it but wanted a bigger hoop. It always stitched out beautifully.

I sold it on Craigslist for pretty much what I paid for it and bought the Janome MB4 which I hated. It was loud, a pain to thread and I could never figure out how to center things where I wanted them to be. I sold that on Craigslist for about $200 less than what I paid for it.

I then bought a Brother 4500d which I absolutely love love love. It is a great machine. It's A LOT more expensive because of that really big hoop - and wanna hear the funny thing? I have yet to use the really big hoop = don't tell hubby!
Old 07-31-2010, 02:07 PM

You can also go to http://sewing.patternreview.com/ to get reviews on any embroidery machines (and sewing machines), new or used, that you may be considering. That's been really helpful to me, especially when I'm looking at a machine I'm not real familiar with.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:56 PM

I started out with a Janome 200E as I thought I wouldnt use it that much either. But after 7 months, I ugraded.

The 200E only has the one hoop size, i think it was a 5 x 5 or something like that.

I now have a 300e very similar the the 350e (basically it just doesnt have the USB port) and I love it. Stiches out beautifully and you can use a number of hoops on it. You get 2 hoops with the machine, then you can get the mega hoop and the little 2 x 2 hoop for small things.

Im not sure if you can get it anymore, as I got it as a runout sale for end of model clearence. But I love it, really easy to use.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:09 PM

gailmitchell-
Hang to your Pfaff. Or send it to me.
I have a 7570 and 2140, I not part with either machine.
Anyone that has every owned a Pfaff and let it slip thur her hands and regretted it. Please reconsider before selling.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
gailmitchell-
Anyone that has every owned a Pfaff and let it slip thur her hands and regretted it. Please reconsider before selling.

As much as I want a new machine with more bells and whistles, I will NEVER get rid of my Pfaff 7570, altho I never use the embroidery part of it. I have a Brother PE 150 and Babylock Emore for Embroidery. :)
Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by eparys
I posted these recommendations on another thread just recently

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-54881-1.htm#1314110

I agree with mlaceruby and pieces - the more inexpensive ones are not necessarily user friendly and do not have a lot of options. The used market is a great place to look - make sure that the person selling has had it maintained.
I agree. I bought the Singer Futura a few years ago. didn't do much with it because it was so cheaply made. It really was a piece of doo doo. Made me never want to try embroidery again. I finally got up the nerve to try again. I bought a used Janome 9500 got a GREAT deal and also traded in 3 machines I never use anymore.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Originally Posted by sewgull
gailmitchell-

As much as I want a new machine with more bells and whistles, I will NEVER get rid of my Pfaff 7570, altho I never use the embroidery part of it. I have a Brother PE 150 and Babylock Emore for Embroidery. :)
I don't do much embroidery, but the Pfaff 7570 is a great machine. I take the 2140 to sewing group.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 AM

Janome is the only machine for me. Low maintenance, easy to use, fast. I can do 100 baseball caps in a weekend easily. I have done shirts, jackets, socks, etc. The 10000 on up can be used for commercial purposes on small runs. Has great designs for quilts. It is a remarkable machine and very quiet, unlike my Bernina, which I will be selling soon as they can figure out whats wrong with it and order the parts.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 AM

I have a Janome 11000 and do enjoy using it very much. This is the third big Janome I've purchased. It is pretty easy to download patterns from the internet, to do small areas of a quilt - which turn out very nicely - as well as SITD and - if space is available, it will stipple very well also.

It has a 8x8 (?) inch hoop which is the largest available for this particular machine. I use that hoop to do wonderful embroidered quilt designs (which are downloaded from the internet) as well as the most mundane sewing stuff.

I have several Janome machines as the feet are all interchangeable and since we use the RV every winter - down to Arizona - I take the Janome Gem for which I have a table it fits into and is small enough to take to classes.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:08 PM

I agree, the Pfaff is the best machine on the market. I have been a professional dressmaker for over forty years so I have MANY machines including 2 Pfaff 7170s. They sew beautifully and embroider just as well.