Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
embroidery patterns >

embroidery patterns

embroidery patterns

Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 AM

Use a clear plastic tote. Just put a flashlight in it. I have also put one of the coleman lights that we have for camping that run on batteries. I just don't use the shade. The light works great with the clear tote. I have been doing this for years.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
If you have a plexi glass sewing extension on your machine, just put a little "moonlight" from a hardware store under it and you have a light table...dont have to store it anywhere. The moonlights are just a few dollars.
This is what I do, as well. Works pretty good.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:53 AM

I used to use the windows for tracing. I lucked out one day and found an X-ray viewing box (like you see in a doctor's office) on freecycle. It's bigger than most of the light boxes I have seen and there is plenty of room to work in.

Setting a lamp or bright flashlight under a glass topped table works good too. I remember doing that a time or two.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by janiesews
I had an old scanner that I took the hinged top off of - removed the insides of the scanner and bought a small under counter light at WalMart and slide it into the opening on the side and have a working light box. When I started the project I new I had nothing to lose if it didn't work-but it works just fine.
that's a neat idea and very "green". Good thinking.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:11 AM

If you're talking about transferring the designs, check out Sulky's Sticky Fabric Solvy. You copy the pattern on your printer right onto the Solvy mesh side, peel off the paper and put the mesh on your fabric. When you're done doing the embroidery, just wash the Solvy away in water. It's amazing. I use it for more complicated embroidery designs (like BirdBrain Country Garden design).
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 AM

I do have a light box my hubby made but have used the French doors, a picture frame with the glass but nothing behind it and my glass coffee table. Like the drawer idea for ann31039. You could find a small night table drawer and have a piece of tempered glass cut for it. Be sure to ask them to polish and round the edges. Much less than the cost of a lightbox.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by sosew4fun
I have a large clear extension table on my machine & have
put my folding ott light under it to use.
This is what I have been using....but I like the idea of the "moonlight" better. Then I don't have to worry about tripping over the cord to the folding Ott light when I move around my cutting table. I'm not nearly as graceful as I used to be :lol:
Old 10-24-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by bonnyh
If you're talking about transferring the designs, check out Sulky's Sticky Fabric Solvy. You copy the pattern on your printer right onto the Solvy mesh side, peel off the paper and put the mesh on your fabric. When you're done doing the embroidery, just wash the Solvy away in water. It's amazing. I use it for more complicated embroidery designs (like BirdBrain Country Garden design).
This is the BEST. I love this product!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 AM

I've been waiting to get my hands on an overhead projector. Someone on this board recommended getting one from a school that no longer uses them. My friend works for the local school and is going to let me know when the surplus sale happens.

I figure I can use the bed to trace smaller designs and use the overhead to trace bigger ones on the wall.

Some day...
Old 10-24-2011, 07:22 AM

When I need one, I just use a low cardboard box and one of those battery-operated fluorescent lights you can buy at the hardware store for about $8-$10. Then put a piece of plexiglass on top. Total cost about $20 or less. And it's bigger than most of the "real" lightboxes.