Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Question >

Embroidery Question

Embroidery Question

Old 05-18-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by asmmauer
Originally Posted by amma
Quite often I end up using matching thread in the bobbin to avoid this problem :D:D:D
This is what I do also.
Same here
Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 PM

I have had this same problem. I could not get the tension adjusted right by changing my machine. Sooo....I played with the fabric (scrap) and added more stabilizer on the back side. It worked great and no need to change my bobbin thread color to match the top. Hope this helps you.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 AM

What they said - you've heard lots of advice. I had that problem and kept re-threading the machine over and over again until it worked right. Re-threaded the bobbin, too. I hope it works out for you!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Quite often I end up using matching thread in the bobbin to avoid this problem :D:D:D
Me too. I have lots of bobbin thread in many colors. I use 60 wt Madiera cotton in the bobbin.

Cynthia
Old 05-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Here's what I've tried so far. I ended up filling a bobbin with matching poly thread then using embroidery thread on the top. The both seem pretty comparable in how thin they are.

It's better, but it's still not quite what I want. My next try will be to try a pattern that came with my machine, rather than one I downloaded for free. I want to make sure it's not a dud pattern. Then I'm going to try another stabilizer/interfacing. I wonder if mine isn't thick enough.

If I'm still having trouble...I might just give up. lol

Thanks for everyone's great suggestion. Now I'll put them all to use, 1 at a time.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dolores
Are you using stablizer? some times if you don't use stablizer you won't have the right tension.
Are you using the correct stablizer? Depending on the weight of fabric, you may need to double up on your stablizer. I will also sometimes use same color in the bobbin.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eileen
Are you using stablizer? some times if you don't use stablizer you won't have the right tension.
Are you using the correct stablizer? Depending on the weight of fabric, you may need to double up on your stablizer. I will also sometimes use same color in the bobbin.
I'm using a product called Val-U-Fuse, made by Pellon. I'm not sure if it's the right stuff or not. Is interfacing the same as stabilizer?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I'm using a product called Val-U-Fuse, made by Pellon. I'm not sure if it's the right stuff or not. Is interfacing the same as stabilizer?
No, stablizer is not the same as interfacing. I generally use a tear-away stablizer. There are many companies that make stablizer like Sulky, OESD, etc. And there are many different types of stablizer for different types of fabric.

I would go to a LQS that sells embroidery machines, Joanns with a Viking dealer in them that sells embroidery machines & find out what they sell. Most times they will give you advice without you having to pruchase anything.

You can also go to OESD.com (I think that's the site) & request a sample packet of their stablizer. May cost some $, but well worth it to know which stablizer goes best with different fabrics.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM

You can also go to OESD.com (I think that's the site) & request a sample packet of their stablizer. May cost some $, but well worth it to know which stablizer goes best with different fabrics.
I can't find anything at OESD.com Do you know the name I could search for?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 PM

annthegram.com sells stablizer