Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery question >

Embroidery question

Embroidery question

Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM

redwork like designs without jumps
Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 PM

I recently purchased a quilt embroidery CD with lots of embroidery designs specifically used for quilting. It also includes several sizes for the different sized blocks.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 PM

Sure you can embroidery the block. and then set it together with sashing. But a thing that I do is I cut the block bigger do the embroidery design , with my embrodiery machine, then press it and trim to correct size. Sometimes your design can change the block size, I do this also when I do Redwork on embroidery machine. It is alway better to cut bigger and then trim to correc t size. I made a christmas quilt in a Village redwork on tone on tone white and put christmas sashing between and then stiched about 1/4" from the seam on the inside of blocks It turned out great Have fun
Old 08-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Yes you need to stablize it. One way that I have done it is get some Wash Away, Like Valine, deslove it in water and it makes a thick type of starch. put you blocks in it. let them dry, press and then do the embroidery. press again and set together. I have also used tear away. Some of it is not real expensive.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 PM

I have done this many times. I don't use stabilizer when I stitch through all 3 layers. You can use any red work design as a quilting design. make sure you use the same thread on the top and the bottom. I pin baste my quilt and remove the pins as I re hoop.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 PM

yes, you can, and the block will really stand out.. i have seen them done with flowers, sunbonnet sue, birds, even frogs, and dinosurs. I am working on one that has the state flowers and birds ...
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 PM

yes 3 layers , and you can even do some of the traditional blocks like card tricks, rail fence, log cabin and when the block are put together you have a near perfect quilt...yea
Old 08-04-2011, 01:14 AM

I do all the time.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:34 AM

I completed a charity quilt top that was baseball themed and to quilt i pin basted then stitched in the ditch. Found a baseball embroidery pattern that i liked then modified it so that it did not complete the fill and only used one color of thread. Walla! Perfect baseballs in the blocks. Sooooo easy.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
Sorry, this may be a dumb question. I'm picturing an all white block quilt, maybe different color sashing and each block being embroidered and quilted around the perimeter of the quilt.
Would this work? I know technically it would, but do people actually use embroidery as the quilting?
Guess I should have mentioned that the quilt won't fit in the hoop. I put my stabilizer in the hoop, position the quilt sandwich over that after spraying the stabilizer with 505 spray & fix or something similar. Then I use pins near the hoop but out of the way to fasten the layers together more.
I pick simple designs more like outlines. My Babylock Esante has specific quilting designs too. Hope that helps

Lana's quilt with mach. emb
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236118[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236112.jpe