Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery suggestions >

Embroidery suggestions

Embroidery suggestions

Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM

I do a lot of hand embroidery and find that SF101 very helpful. It is fusible and hides the threads on the back of your work.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by laxgrandma View Post
I've googled stained glass to find patterns that are usually easy to translate to quilts patterns. As others have mentioned, coloring books are great.
Wow. Another great idea. Thanks to all who responded.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:22 PM

here's what my sister, the "Embroidery Queen" (seriously!) would say: yes, just a cheap muslin behind the blocks for hiding any thread tails under the fabric. Also, be sure to cut your blocks a little bigger so that it accounts for the drawing up of the fabric when you embroider. She also does not use a hoop--says she can get smaller stitches that way and I have found that to be true too. Last thought--I do her quilting (almost all her quilts are embroidered) and I treat the blocks like applique--quilt around the design and a tighter fill in the background to make the embroidery really "pop". I often put extra wool or poly bat behind the embroidery blocks to help with that.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Gay

If using flannel, I wonder how well it would embroider if washed and starched first, and don't use tight stitches. Otherwise I too would use a light iron-on interfacing on the back.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 AM

I am just finishing a small quilt for a baby girl. I did 5 squares of applique farm animals and the rest was from a charm pack. I used a tearaway stabilizer on the embroidered applique squares and tore away the excess not around the animals. I did not want to fully stabilize those squares because then their weight would not match the other unembroidered charm squares. I am using a flannel backing, and am doing self-binding (the only thing left to finish). No batting, because she lives in Miami area - hot. I am attaching pictures - hope this helps.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602664[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]602665[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails nora-quilt.jpg   nora-quilt2.jpg  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:44 PM

Thank you.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:29 PM

II use a light weight flannel to line the back of my embroidery fabric and zig-zag around the edges. I usually trim off this right before I sew the blocks together. I’ve done many quilt like this and the remain soft. Another place to look for patterns is online. I’ve found superpages.com is a good source. Just google free coloring pages. You may have to wade through some stuff, but there’s a lot on the computer. Good luck!!
Old 10-20-2018, 11:36 PM

Default Embroidery for quilts

I use a light weight flannel to line the back of my embroidery fabric and zig-zag around the edges. I usually trim off this right before I sew the blocks together. I’ve done many quilt like this and the remain soft. Another place to look for patterns is online. I’ve found supercoloring.com is a good source. Just google free coloring pages. You may have to wade through some stuff, but there’s a lot on the computer. Good luck!