Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Thread for FMQ >

Embroidery Thread for FMQ

Embroidery Thread for FMQ

Old 12-19-2018, 06:27 AM

I took a class a few weeks ago, and the instructor said not to use rayon for quilting if it's going to be washed and used as it will not hold up as well. It was a class all about embroidery and quilting in the hoop.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:09 AM

If I don't have the color of thread in my quilting threads then I look towards my machine embroidery threads. I've even used their metallic threads with no issues. The only thread I've been told to stay away from is serger threads which is no problem.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:34 AM

it's the soft woven serger threads you need to avoid - the ones that are stretchy. Other "serger" threads are no different than what we would consider "regular". I use Maxi Lock the most with my LA, and it is sold as a "serger" thread.

I will add that most of what I've seen sold as "serger" thread at places like JoAnn's and Walmart is not very nice thread. But that is a different market than what is sold for more commercial use.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:48 PM

I've used Sulky rayon for FMQ. While it looks great and I didn't have any problems with it, I wouldn't recommend it for a quilt. I've used it extensively for wearables, but they don't get washed. I used it to quilt one quilt that I use quite a bit. It's been washed a lot and the rayon thread is not start to break so I guess I'll have to re-quilt it with something else. eeeeeeeek!
Old 12-19-2018, 03:09 PM

OK! No rayon! Thanks so much for the responses, greatly appreciated!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:51 AM

I would not use any serger thread for quilting or piecing. It is designed to be used in a close overlock stitch that is fine for garment sewing and project that ravel easily. Serger threads are two ply and linty. Check it for breaking....it is not strong. Wall quilt, maybe. However, with all the work that goes into your quilt, why would you piece or quilt with a lesser quality than your design and construction talents warrant. Best threads for me when sewing or quilting.
When sewing garments, I could not do without my serger and Maxi Loc, but that is what it is designed for.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
I would not use any serger thread for quilting or piecing. It is designed to be used in a close overlock stitch that is fine for garment sewing and project that ravel easily. Serger threads are two ply and linty. Check it for breaking....it is not strong. Wall quilt, maybe. However, with all the work that goes into your quilt, why would you piece or quilt with a lesser quality than your design and construction talents warrant. Best threads for me when sewing or quilting.
When sewing garments, I could not do without my serger and Maxi Loc, but that is what it is designed for.
welli guess we all need to find what works for us. I’ve had great success with serger thread doing FMQ. I did some googling and find I am not alone. Even on his board. So probably one size does not fit all. I also like polyester embroidery thread and cotton thread.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:49 AM

I use Isacord 40 Weight multi for my FMQ with no problems.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:44 AM

I'm trying to decide between Isacord and Superior Magnifico 40 wt thread. My concern is that Magnifico would be too shiny. Anyone use this thread who can comment?

Additionally, the colors for Isacord seem to really vary from site to site, making it hard to discern what I might really be getting. I wish that sellers of Isacord would put up actual thread cones to see. Still depending on how to see the color on the computer screen - but this seems to be a bit more accurate than thread cards with tiny squares.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
I'm trying to decide between Isacord and Superior Magnifico 40 wt thread. My concern is that Magnifico would be too shiny. Anyone use this thread who can comment?............
First of all ... I am not familiar with either threads.
The embroidery thread that I have used is Hemingsworth.

Re your concern re "shine" ... keep in mind that you will have very little thread,
compared to the amount that shows when doing embroidery.
Try it and see, but I think you will find that it will stay pretty subtle.

It's that subtle shine, as to why I choose embroidery thread for FMQing.
It just gives a wee bit of lustre and that is what I like about it.