Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Emptied Mom's house, Fabric and quilt tools everywhere

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My dad thrived in assisted living. He was surrounded by people his own own age and had help taking showers and getting dressed. He was always so clean. He never had to worry about doing laundry or housework again. I wished we would have gotten him into one sooner. I didn't realize how social he was until he went there. So, I hope you mom enjoys it as much as my dad did.
    I'm glad you are not selling your mom's quilting items. Donating them will be appreciated so much more. All the people have already mentioned a lot of great places. There is always the Senior Center, too. I am sending a sewing machine to a women's prison. I know it will be used and loved there. That idea just seemed right to me.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

As I am getting on in years I would love my kids to do this with my quilting "treasures" also when the time comes. I will have to discuss this with them. My daughters and grandkids have no interest in sewing.

what a great idea... you and she are very kind... i hope all goes well with you mom and her illness. God bless you both.. it wont be an easy road

Just seen your thread and did not want to pass by. That is such a lovely idea to keep your mum's work going. I do hope that she will be very happy in her new home and that it will give her a real boost.

Bless you for your kindness to share your mom's supplies with a worthy cause. Some church's have quilt ministries where they sew the quilts and give them away to a special person who is needy in some way and they just want to bless that person. And they are so appreciative of any donations that they receive, in order to make these quilts. Ask around in your area if there is such a ministry. May your mom be blessed by this act of kindness...

Blog Entries
    We have a cancer hospital that has a place here that ladies make everyone male, female and child a quilt. I can't seemed to remember the name. But after going there to see their operation I want my things to go to them. Maybe to have a place like that.

Blog Entries
    God Bless you, your family and your mom. This is the hardest part of life for all involved. Utilize a support group for yourself. What an honor you are providing in your mother's name...the gift of one of her greatest joys...sewing/quilting, for others. Thank you for your trust in this group as you ask for the assistance in sharing her love.
    Donna

i am a member of the quilters guild of plano...we meet on the 2nd thurs of the month...we have extensive programs for the local children's advocacy center...every child coming in gets to pick a quilt from the shelf...we also do covers for the neonatal unit at childrens hospital in dallas...if you would like to contact me...i would be happy to meet with you...monica in texas....

I would be interested in learning more about the hospice lap robes as mentioned by scrappy MiMi .. what a great idea.....

Where is Galloway , Ohio..... Perhaps my group couldmake some quilts.

Dee
    Also shelters for abused women and children.

In our town the Senior Center has a quilting club and they are always looking for these kinds of donations as many people can't afford all the things you need to start quilting.

If your mom was associated with a church in Plano, they may have a chapter of Prayers and Squares Quilt Ministry there and they can always use all of these items. It is a wonderful organization with chapters all over the world. Hugs and prayers for you and your mom.

I live in Plano too! Small world. Project Linus has several drop-off locations in Plano. They take donated fabric and cut it up to put together simple quilt kits. I picked up two of them a few weeks ago at the Plano Quilt Show. Just need to finish up the binding on them. They provide quilts to Parkland, Samaritan Inn, and several other great charities in Collin and Dallas County. Since I'm trying to practice my skills on my new Longarm machine, these small quilts are perfect for me. Some of the other charities that collect quilts have lots of rules about exact size of quilts, type of fabrics, etc. Project Linus seems to fit me a little bit better.

The Plano Quilt Guild would probably love to have a sale of all of her old templates, tools, etc and be able to use the money for some of their charities.

Hope you find a great place to donate all of that fabric!

Many churches have quilting groups that make quilts to raise money for their charitable projects. That might be a good place to start.

God bless you and your mom, may you remember the good times

I was going to suggest a woman's shelter or maybe you have a jail or girls/boys shelter. Maybe a girl scout troop or a 4H Club.

Blog Entries

Thank you!!!

Thank you all so very much for the incredibly helpful suggestions, heartfelt expressions of hope and kindness, and warmth. My Mom, Elisa, and I are most grateful. We have split everything up and have already given away most of the boxes.

Our last effort is going towards donating the larger pieces of fabric (>5 yards per bolt) to Habitat for Humanity- for curtains, reupholstering furniture and whatever other ideas they have.

You all have helped make a tremendously daunting task, incredibly rewarding, instead. Christina

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2