Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Emptied Mom's house, Fabric and quilt tools everywhere >

Emptied Mom's house, Fabric and quilt tools everywhere

Emptied Mom's house, Fabric and quilt tools everywhere

Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 PM

We have a cancer hospital that has a place here that ladies make everyone male, female and child a quilt. I can't seemed to remember the name. But after going there to see their operation I want my things to go to them. Maybe to have a place like that.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 PM

God Bless you, your family and your mom. This is the hardest part of life for all involved. Utilize a support group for yourself. What an honor you are providing in your mother's name...the gift of one of her greatest joys...sewing/quilting, for others. Thank you for your trust in this group as you ask for the assistance in sharing her love.
Donna
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM

i am a member of the quilters guild of plano...we meet on the 2nd thurs of the month...we have extensive programs for the local children's advocacy center...every child coming in gets to pick a quilt from the shelf...we also do covers for the neonatal unit at childrens hospital in dallas...if you would like to contact me...i would be happy to meet with you...monica in texas....
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM

I would be interested in learning more about the hospice lap robes as mentioned by scrappy MiMi .. what a great idea.....
Old 08-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Where is Galloway , Ohio..... Perhaps my group couldmake some quilts.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Dee

Also shelters for abused women and children.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 PM

In our town the Senior Center has a quilting club and they are always looking for these kinds of donations as many people can't afford all the things you need to start quilting.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 PM

If your mom was associated with a church in Plano, they may have a chapter of Prayers and Squares Quilt Ministry there and they can always use all of these items. It is a wonderful organization with chapters all over the world. Hugs and prayers for you and your mom.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 PM

I live in Plano too! Small world. Project Linus has several drop-off locations in Plano. They take donated fabric and cut it up to put together simple quilt kits. I picked up two of them a few weeks ago at the Plano Quilt Show. Just need to finish up the binding on them. They provide quilts to Parkland, Samaritan Inn, and several other great charities in Collin and Dallas County. Since I'm trying to practice my skills on my new Longarm machine, these small quilts are perfect for me. Some of the other charities that collect quilts have lots of rules about exact size of quilts, type of fabrics, etc. Project Linus seems to fit me a little bit better.

The Plano Quilt Guild would probably love to have a sale of all of her old templates, tools, etc and be able to use the money for some of their charities.

Hope you find a great place to donate all of that fabric!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 PM

Many churches have quilting groups that make quilts to raise money for their charitable projects. That might be a good place to start.