Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
En español porfavor >

En español porfavor

En español porfavor

Old 10-10-2016, 02:39 PM

I thought the post in Spanish was a nice touch. I don't know Spanish, but I sure don't think that means someone shouldn't post in Spanish. We have had posts in other languages before, haven't we? Has it really been a problem?

I remember being fascinated by a thread in Russian, though I guess that was about 4 years ago. I saw my first Bargello quilt in that post, and I immediately set out to figure out how to make one. I am now working on my thirteenth. I might have stumbled upon a Bargello eventually, but I sure appreciate the pictures from the Russian quilter, as I was caught. (I don't know Russian, nor did I even know the language was Russian. Another quilter did though, and she helped the person who started the thread translated for those of us who were interested.)

Isn't a quilter a quilter, no matter what language is spoken? If it bothers someone, they should just go look at a different thread.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 10-10-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:54 PM

One of these days I hope to improve my very basic Spanish skills, but unfortunately I'm not there yet.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:44 PM

Hola Neuras, I'm Spanish.

I'm not a very active member because of my lack of time (and because, unfortunately, my English is not so fluent as yours), but I always found kind words and good advice when I asked for help. I never felt set aside, in spite of my poor English skills. This board is a hospitable community (google translated this word for me, 'hospitable', I hope it's correct!).

I do not think the ladies have been offended because you wrote in Spanish; it's only that the title is somewhat puzzling, like your first post (when I first read it, I thought that you needed help with translation... and it turns out that you speak very good English, which makes it all the more confusing).

In short, it's quite easy to create misunderstandings in the written form, and still easier when using more than one language at a time. It's not a serious problem, as long as we all do our best to solve it.

That said, certainly there's no place like this in spanish (or at least I couldn't find it). It's a pity, because quilting has been a long tradition in my country (see Almazuela). However, nowadays it's an art that is being lost, so... if you are willing to create a site in spanish I will be pleased to visit and participate.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Administrator

i was horrified by some of the responses i read ... and deleted.

it's true that most members speak English as their first language.
it's also true that the world gets smaller every day.

Neuras did not do anything wrong.
shame on all who posted to criticize her.

if you can't answer her reasonable question with a civilized answer then ...

por favor ... cállate!

Last edited by patricej; 10-10-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post

por favor ... cállate!

Patrice, thank you for deleting some of those posts. They didn't belong here.

Dina
Old 10-10-2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Hola Neuras, I'm Spanish.

I'm not a very active member because of my lack of time (and because, unfortunately, my English is not so fluent as yours), but I always found kind words and good advice when I asked for help. I never felt set aside, in spite of my poor English skills. This board is a hospitable community (google translated this word for me, 'hospitable', I hope it's correct!).

I do not think the ladies have been offended because you wrote in Spanish; it's only that the title is somewhat puzzling, like your first post (when I first read it, I thought that you needed help with translation... and it turns out that you speak very good English, which makes it all the more confusing).

In short, it's quite easy to create misunderstandings in the written form, and still easier when using more than one language at a time. It's not a serious problem, as long as we all do our best to solve it.

That said, certainly there's no place like this in spanish (or at least I couldn't find it). It's a pity, because quilting has been a long tradition in my country (see Almazuela). However, nowadays it's an art that is being lost, so... if you are willing to create a site in spanish I will be pleased to visit and participate.
Muchísimas gracias Silk. The intent of my post was to "grab" attention to those who would be able to help. Many times posts get relegated to other pages & eventually lost. Thank you for responding. Are you located in a Spain? Almazuela is a city or a technique? I'll be looking into it. Saludos!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:03 PM

por favor ... cállate!
Gracias! Bien dicho!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:04 PM

Almazuela is a city or a technique?
Almazuela is the original word used in Spain for 'patchwork/quilting'... although today is only used in the northern part of the country (in the rest of the territory it's disappearing and being replaced by these two anglicisms). It comes from the Arabic language, and it refers mainly at the piecing part of the process.

Are you located in a Spain?
Yes, I live in a little town next to the beautiful Mediterranean sea, not far from Valencia.

And you? Do you live in México?

Saludos y buenas noches!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:37 PM

por favor ... cállate!
Thank you, PatriceJ!
Old 10-10-2016, 06:07 PM

I thank you and my family thanks you for your response PatriceJ.