Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
English Paper Piecing >

English Paper Piecing

English Paper Piecing

Old 06-11-2020, 06:18 PM

I was thinking about trying some epp for "poolside" work. 1) recomendations on size and 2) favorite tutorials for newbies?
Old 06-11-2020, 06:47 PM

Mine are all 1" hexies (each length of side measures 1"). I wouldn't go any smaller to start, maybe a bit bigger would be good. tula pink has some you tube videos that are pretty good.
There are lots of different ways to baste them. I do a simple basting stich, but a lot of people seem happy with glue basting. I personally do not do that, because I am typically slouched on the couch working on them, and that is not conducive to glue basting.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:03 AM
Power Poster

I sew the hexies together from the back, laying flat so the stitches won't show. I was putting too much effort into keeping the stitches from showing too much when sewing them together so the back stitching is my favorite way. No stitching showing at all and no wasted time trying to keep stitches just right. I use plain clear tape to hold the hexies flat while sewing.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:23 AM

Ok - more questions about cutting hexies.
https://www.getasquiltingstudio.com/...templates.html

Geta Gama has this series of templates to cut the papers - can I used the next size up to speed the cutting of the fabric? Especially if I can get it to line up with linear designs. Thoughts appreciated from smarter people!
Old 06-12-2020, 04:27 PM

I just buy my templates, for me its worth the money, since I am only using one size and am doing a constant flow of them.
in theory, that would work for fabric as well if you want, I don't see a problem. most EPP tutorials tell you to cut a hexagon 1/4" larger from your fabric. I have found that it is much easier for me to work with up to 1/2" larger. easier on my fingers when I baste. but, honestly, I just cut my fabric sloppy, without too much attention to size. if I want some kinid of fussy cut shape in my hexie, then, since I cut the fabric larger, there is some wiggle room to shift the piece around when I go to baste. and the sloppy cut edges dont get seen anyhow. Like I said, I am a slouchy couch EPP-er. but it all looks great in the end still!
Old 06-15-2020, 01:48 PM

Very first "flower". Decided to go with 1.5" size. O have enough cut to make 4 which should be enough as a trial to see if I like this.

I don't like how much I can see my stitching on this so I'll be doing some research on other methods.
Attached Thumbnails 20200615_174350.jpg  
Old 06-15-2020, 06:37 PM

when you are stiching them together, do not grab a lot of material in your whipstitch, just catching a few threads should be enough and will show a lot less. also, when you go through the fabrics, make that as perpendicular as you can, then when you bring it back around the top, make that one at the angle you need to get to the next position. ....i'm not sure if that made sense....let me know if not, and maybe I can try again with pictures.

And pull those whip stitches tighter, they look a little loose.

Those should help your stitches disappear more
Old 06-16-2020, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
Colorful quilt top CM!
I started to put together these cute owls in a scrappy, but color coordinated fashion. right now they are just hanging by pins above my ironing station, but, again, I don't know what the plan is from here. Almost done adding a purple one to the family!
omg, these are adorable. How clever of you!
Old 06-17-2020, 11:03 AM

Paper piecing is my favorite way of quilting! I'd do everything EPP if I could find a source that'd carry the preprinted designs!