Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enjoying - or Just Want it Finished? >

Enjoying - or Just Want it Finished?

Enjoying - or Just Want it Finished?

Old 11-20-2019, 04:12 AM

I rarely ask about colors when making a baby quilt - I love bright colors and usually use child like primary colored fabrics. It has to be happy looking! Often make baby quilts for new grandmas - every baby needs a quilt at grandma’s house in my opinion. And the grandmas are always thrilled.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:00 AM

I've 'made to order' several quilts for family/friends - from baby to queen - using fabrics or even a pattern that I do not like and have struggled to get thru them - especially, the new/trendy color combinations. However, all the angst is forgotten once I see how much my recipient loves what I've made for them

Better than gifting something of your color/design choice and find it's never been used (that's happened to me too!)
Old 11-20-2019, 02:52 PM

I just finished a baby quilt also where they requested soft, restful colors of gray, white and pale aqua. The print I found had little bits of mustard yellow too. I did use a simple pattern of large sashed block alternating with 9P. I grew fonder of the colors as I worked and liked the end result.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:16 PM

Oh boy do I hear you all! I started a queen size quilt last April for my Son and future daughter-in-law who are getting married in April 2020. I started with high hopes and lots of time. I made the 30 blocks and have battled it the whole time. Turns out, when sewn together, they didn't really line up. But I can't just dump it. So I've changed course to a bed runner and pillows. But as of right now, I just want it done so I can stop obsessing because time is running out! LOL! I'm a newer quilter and still have much to learn
Old 11-20-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by dicueto View Post
Oh boy do I hear you all! I started a queen size quilt last April for my Son and future daughter-in-law who are getting married in April 2020. I started with high hopes and lots of time. I made the 30 blocks and have battled it the whole time. Turns out, when sewn together, they didn't really line up. But I can't just dump it. So I've changed course to a bed runner and pillows. But as of right now, I just want it done so I can stop obsessing because time is running out! LOL! I'm a newer quilter and still have much to learn
Is it a block pattern that you can add sashing to so that nothing touches each other? All touch only the sashing. That's an easy way to fix non matching points.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:25 PM

I just finished the binding of the 4th quilt that I've been working on for the last few years. They are all alike. They are made from scraps from my dads shirts and my moms dresses and shirts. The quilt is double sided with moms on one side and dads on the other. I'm very happy with the results.

I've named them The Square Dancers and they will be given to my adult children this Christmas. Mom and dad were square dancers thus the name.
Dad passed away about 7 years ago and my 92 year old mom lives with my husband and me.
I also made the same quilt for me. It has been sandwiched and basted and is waiting to be quilted. I honestly don't know when the quilting will take place. Hopefully I'll get my longarm before too long and can use that. I'd have to undo and redo the quilt for that procedure but that is another story so back to this one.

I enjoyed this adventure in the beginning but I am so happy and glad that 4 of them are done! I got to the point I just wanted them done! And I will joyously give them up. I will not take on another project of this magnitude!
Old 11-21-2019, 07:35 AM

I have had requests for quilts to make out of colors I just don't like working on. You are smart to just do a simple pattern and it will be just as beautiful even tho you don't want to use those colors. Good luck on your new project
Old 11-21-2019, 07:44 AM

I have learned to closely guard my sewing time. If anyone other than my DH/mother/sister (and one other woman friend who I need to do for occasionally for other reasons) asks me about sewing something, I decline even if it is awkward to do so. Even if it embarrasses me momentarily.

I have explained to co-workers, neighbors, and friends that my sewing is for stress relief and play time only, and that only certain projects are restful to me. They might find that strange, but I work long, stressful hours, and I can't let other people's stuff intrude on the only quiet, peaceful time that I have. I am very happy to buy them a quilt if they are in need.

Some gifts I make, but only if it is a project and fabrics that I am excited to work on. If not, I buy something appropriate instead. I could enjoy working on baby quilts in the newer color combos mentioned above. But if Mom-to-be wants an NFL team print on the quilt, or pretty much any commercial theme like that, I will order it ready made to please her. But not in my sewing room, lol.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Moira, I haven't been in your situation...... yet.
My granddaughter's Mom (my DIL) loves pink! So I was thrilled that she wanted pinks and colors that are quite girlish.
However, if she wanted black and orange (my least fav colors haha) I would have struggled through but only for her.
I detest working with fabric I don't like! I guess I'm surly on a daily basis

I like the idea someone gave you about doing a fun pattern. That would help. Good luck! At least baby quilts are small.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:56 PM

Yep, been there, done that, got the T-shirt, wore it out!! I do ask some folks to pick up 6 paint color cards of their favorite colors I'm making something special for them. (it has to be a family member or close friend) Like a wedding quilt. Baby quilts - I make what I want. Of course I'm not in business so I don't have to do any quilt I really don't like. LOL

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-22-2019 at 04:12 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps