Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enlarging finished quilt >

Enlarging finished quilt

Enlarging finished quilt

Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
I have a quilt to enlarge - once I get around to it - I plan on removing the binding and adding borders. It won't be easy, but my DH likes this one and he's worth the effort.
Sounds like a good plan! That's what I've been thinking of doing to a quilt in the guest room. I was able to find more of the fabric and will buffer it with a small border of something else to "hide" any difference in colors.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 PM

I enlarged a Double into a Queen by
buying a fabric with the colors of quilt,
then quilting a strip and attaching
to top, bottom, and sides.
It was not that hard to do.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 PM

I did get a couple of pictures posted in the PICTURES section. Let me know what you think.
I can't believe the pictures went........I have tried before with little luck.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:31 AM

I enlarged a OBW a while ago. It was a pain but it was doable. I would suggest you prewash the additional fabric before you begin. The original quilt will have shrink or tightened up and the new fabric will be looser.
If you're trying to increase a pattern then the blocks should/could be washed after construction. Just wet them and throw them in the dryer. I use a lingerie netting bag. I totally replaced the binding as well. It showed wear. I staggered the joining seams ie. I made sure the front seam and the backing seam didn't lie up exactly to avoid a lump up fabric. The batting I added wasn't the same as the original as I had no more of it. (wool) so I used cotton. I glued it with a slight over lap and this seam fell in a band I added so it was concealed but merely looking puffy. It was anchored when I SITD the sashing. I added a foot all around with three sashing strips and then a band of material 8+ inches wide. I FMQ a totally different pattern in the border. It looks fine but I don't think I'll do it again. I now make all my quilts Queen or larger unless dedicated to a child's bed.
MaryKatherine
Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 AM

There are several methods that have been around for a while to add quilted fabric to quilted fabric. One is "Fun and Done" To do this, you would have to either cut an extra inch off the top (or the back) so that you have fabric to turn over at the end. If you cut off the top, you will have the backing fabric folded over on the front. Maybe you don't want that. Also, you could add a strip to the back that you want showing on the front. Here is a You-Tube video for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUn8ffH-vh8

Another way is the Betty Cotton method. I haven't seen a lot of this lately, but it is also sewing quilted fabric to quilted fabric. The squares are created with the batting the desired size, and the top and back with one inch seam allowances. These are sewn together with the seam on the right side. Each side of the seam allowance is turned under separately (either toward the seam or away from it, as you wish), and the center is sewn with a decorative stitch to hold these seams in place. Betty Cotton was featured on Sewing with Nancy a few years ago. Perhaps you could find that program.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-08-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 AM

I tried to find a video of the Betty Cotton method, but could only find this: http://www.americaquiltscreatively.com/episodes/aqc_202.pdf

Her quilts are completely reversible. I made one with a Christmas theme on one side and FMQ spring flowers on the other.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-08-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:10 AM

I think adding a couple of borders would be less work. ( and I'm big on less work.) I hope I can explain clearly what I mean. For this example I will add 4" of border. Borders and backing do not have to match exactly, they should blend and compliment as a frame for the quilt.
1) remove binding ( I would just cut it off ), next cut strips of backing at least 5" or 6" wide. Add strips to quilt-back. 2) Cut similar strips of batting. 501 or Elmer's glue it to the backing strips butting it to existing batting. Make sure that it all lays flat. The 2 battings must be secured where joined. This an be done now and stitches will show on backing. Simple serpentine for example or it can be addressed in final quilting.
3) Make added borders to frame quilt. That could be one wide border to show-case some quilting or 2 or 3 depending depending on amount added. If more than one, join together then add existing quilt.
4) quilt as needed. Don't you just hate that phrase (LOL) . I would SITD all, including first, borders to secure.
I would probably reverse order of 2 and 3 but thought it would clearer this way.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:20 AM

What about just putting a skirt on it, not quilted, just a skirt or a ruffle.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:37 AM

I'd go with making a new quilt, maybe the same pattern. She will now have a spare she can use for company or show.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 AM

That wqas my first thought, study a couple of GAYG videos and go from there. I think the hardest part will be finding fabric that goes well.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
here's a bit different method and assuming that you are adding a border to 3 sides. It's a QAYG method:
1) Select fabric and piece border in 3 pieces, 2 sides that are the same length as the current quilt and the bottom that is long enough to go across the 2 added pieces plus original quilt.
2) Cut 3 pieces of backing, a few inches larger than the new borders
3) Take the binding off
4) Place the new border on top of the quilt, matching raw edges, right sides together, pin
5) Place the new backing on the bottom of the quilt, matching raw edges, right sides together, pin.
6) Sew a 1/4" seam thru the border, quilt and backing.
7) Press the backing towards the new border
8) add a piece of new batting, butting it up against the original batting
9) Fold the new border over press, baste sandwich and quilt.
Do the 2 sides first, then add the border to the bottom.
Here's a video that's close: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShpsREtzxrE
She uses glue and a strip of steam a seam to join the new batting. I didn't do this, but quilted closely without a problem.