EQ 7

Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Go for it I love mine. I just finished a course at the quit university on how to make a quilt sampler using EQ7. The teacher was terrific and explained a lot of things that made it easier to use. Yes, there is such a place on line call the Quilt University at www.quiltuniversity.com.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I too bought and installed it BUT haven't done a thing since! This will probably be a New Year's resolution.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 AM

I bought one for "art" quilts. I thought it would be an answer for me because always have to buy too much fabric because I don't know how much it will take for each area. And I wanted to be able to manipulate my designs with my own fabrics to see how they look before cutting. I asked here on the quilt board about using it that way and was told "yes" it can be used for non-blocks.

I have a MAC so my grandson put a pc side to my MAC. I called up the help people (they were really nice) and they walked me through different steps. I printed out a binder full of instructions, thinking if I could do each step by step w/o having to refer elsewhere that would help. I was told to practice using a regular drawing program to help me understand how to use EQ7. I took classes ($50 for 3, but I started at the second one and only got two) they told me I could come back for the first one when it runs again. I asked after the first one I went to if they were going to discuss non-block quilting and the instructor said "yes, next class". But never a word was mentioned... everyone else loved fiddling with blocks.

Bottom line, I'm too electronically challenged to use it. I didn't quilt for a couple of months trying to learn EQ7. Outside of my machine it is the biggest purchase I've ever made, and its useless for me.

I don't think most of the world out there is as dumb as me, but if you may be, try someone else's first before you put out a lot of money.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra
I bought one for "art" quilts. I thought it would be an answer for me because always have to buy too much fabric because I don't know how much it will take for each area. And I wanted to be able to manipulate my designs with my own fabrics to see how they look before cutting. I asked here on the quilt board about using it that way and was told "yes" it can be used for non-blocks.

I have a MAC so my grandson put a pc side to my MAC. I called up the help people (they were really nice) and they walked me through different steps. I printed out a binder full of instructions, thinking if I could do each step by step w/o having to refer elsewhere that would help. I was told to practice using a regular drawing program to help me understand how to use EQ7. I took classes ($50 for 3, but I started at the second one and only got two) they told me I could come back for the first one when it runs again. I asked after the first one I went to if they were going to discuss non-block quilting and the instructor said "yes, next class". But never a word was mentioned... everyone else loved fiddling with blocks.

Bottom line, I'm too electronically challenged to use it. I didn't quilt for a couple of months trying to learn EQ7. Outside of my machine it is the biggest purchase I've ever made, and its useless for me.

I don't think most of the world out there is as dumb as me, but if you may be, try someone else's first before you put out a lot of money.
Where did you take your classes?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 AM

awesome
Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 AM

I bought EQ7 and have only used it one time. Would never spend that amount if I could turn back the clock.

Ann
Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Same here! Bought it, never used it! Thought that it would be a neat thing to have! Got a good deal from Quilt In A Day, also, but seems like I spend too much time on the board to get much sewing and quilting done, out alone trying to learn EQ7! But, I have learned a lot from this board! Great people here! Maybe some day, I will use the lessons like everyone else! I definitely would not spend over $150 for it. I think maybe mine was around $140! Money wasted right now, but maybe not in the future! Good Luck in choosing!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by NannyPat
I love my EQ7! One of the best features is that you can scan your fabric into it and actually SEE what the finished quilt will look like! Get it...take some lessons on its features, then USE it! I don't use it nearly enough, but when I do, it is simply awesome!
I agree with NannyPat. I was really excited when I found out about this feature. I could really see what the finished quilt would look like once I was done playing around with fabric placement. All in all, I really enjoy using EQ7 and I'm surprised how much I've used it.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM

How did you get it so do the inside sashing? I couldn't figure it out and thought I would have to include it in the blocks. Haven't gotten back to it to give it a try.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra

You are not dumb-just as everyone is not a quilter not everyone is a computer geek. Believe me I am married to one and sometimes his explanations are like a space shuttle over my head.

I can email, I can do the spreadsheet, and even write a letter-Word-but don't ask me to do anything complicated as it "ain't gonna get done!!"