EQ

Old 09-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Every program sold for computers is upgraded from time to time. This is not something peculiar to EQ. You can continue to use the old software if you want, but the new version will offer more options. Many people are still using EQ5 without upgrading to EQ6, and EQ6 has been out for some time. Upgrades come out when significant changes have been made to a product, not just for every little change. I was not quilting before EQ6 was available, but I understand that it is a major improvement over EQ5 in user friendliness and functionality.

Usually when an operating system is upgraded, it will continue to run software meant for the old OS, but after several upgrades it will not reach back that far.

With EQ6, you can download the latest fabric from many of the manufacturers. The downloads are free, so if you are using a new fabric line you have a good chance of finding it online without having to scan in your own fabric. Just colors are not enough for me - I want fabrics - but I haven't found it necessary to start scanning in my own since so many different fabrics are available already.

EQ helps you design your own quilt and block patterns. Even if you start with a known quilt pattern, you can explore different borders or sashing, or see what the quilt would look like with a different color scheme. You can easily change the size of a block with EQ. If you're doing a log cabin, for instance, it is easy to set the blocks into the quilt and then turn them every which way to decide on a layout. EQ will print out a pattern for paper piecing, templates for cutting patches, directions for rotary cutting, yardage estimates.

If all you want is to find patterns and make them, you do not need EQ. If you dislike using computers, you will not use EQ. However if you find yourself making changes in the pattern or designing your own quilts, EQ can make the process faster, more accurate, and more enjoyable. You will be more productive using EQ. (Unless, that is, you spend all your time designing quilts in EQ and no time sewing. Some people actually do that...)

I think that upgrades generally cost about half the cost of the new product, so roughly $75 instead of $150. If you buy EQ6 as an upgrade to EQ5, you must have EQ5 installed in order to install EQ6. After installation, you will have both programs on your computer. You can open the EQ5 projects with EQ6, but not vice versa. You may want to uninstall EQ5, but you don't have to. You do need to retain the EQ5 product in case you need to install your EQ6 again.

This site will give you a lot more information about what's in EQ6.
http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ6/EQ6.asp

Old 09-05-2009, 09:39 AM

well, that takes care of that!

it doesn't run on mac without the add-on windows supplement, which i never got because at the time it cost more than the EQ does now. so to have this tool, i would have to be prepared to spend at least $450, probably more, for the EQ + the windows supplement for the mac. i don't think it's really worth it for me.

thanks everyone for answering all my questions. who knows what the future will bring, right? i may add another computer someday, downstairs where my workroom is, and that would be windows.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
well, that takes care of that!

it doesn't run on mac without the add-on windows supplement, which i never got because at the time it cost more than the EQ does now. so to have this tool, i would have to be prepared to spend at least $450, probably more, for the EQ + the windows supplement for the mac. i don't think it's really worth it for me.

thanks everyone for answering all my questions. who knows what the future will bring, right? i may add another computer someday, downstairs where my workroom is, and that would be windows.
Parallels (which will run Windows on the Mac and is supported by EQ) is $79.99 from parallels, and you can get it a lot cheaper from ebay, especially if you buy a used version. It is possible to get EQ6 at 10% off, but list is about $150. So, I figure $230 would be an upper bound to get EQ6 running on your Mac. However it doesn't seem that you really need EQ if you are happy with the way you are doing things. We all find different tools to help us.

BTW, another thing I do with EQ6 is make my quilt labels. And Geta uses it to make the patterns for her wonderful shadow trapunto. It is really very versatile.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 PM

Glad to see that I'm not the only Mac user here. I bought Quilt-Pro 5 for the Mac. I bought it online for $69.99 and free shipping. I've been playing around with it and while it's not close to EQ, I like it. I've been successful creating blocks and designing quilts. It's cheaper than converting to a PC. Hubby has 3 PC's but I don't touch and definitely wouldn't load software on any of them.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Glad to see that I'm not the only Mac user here. I bought Quilt-Pro 5 for the Mac. I bought it online for $69.99 and free shipping. I've been playing around with it and while it's not close to EQ, I like it. I've been successful creating blocks and designing quilts. It's cheaper than converting to a PC. Hubby has 3 PC's but I don't touch and definitely wouldn't load software on any of them.[/quote]

on the quilt-pro, does it print out templates for you? i don't need it to estimate yardage or show me the latest fabric lines. does it show color?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:01 PM

Finally - have a chance to reply to your question about Quilt Pro. Yes, it does make printable templates and yes, it does let you use plain colors if you don't want to use fabric samples. I'm still playing with it. It also helps to resize squares. It has online help available and a tele # to call.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 PM

There is a contest for EQ block of the month...Jan block is due Feb 15th http://www.doyoueq.com/blog/?p=1993
Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 PM

When we built the previous home I designed tile floors with my EQ software. I installed them without a hitch and when the contractor's brother in law (who was a tile setter) came by to pay him a visit he told me there wasn't enough money you could have paid him to lay that tile like that. I did insets of 1" glass tiles to make a rug pattern in the middle of the larger background tiles in the master bathroom. He asked me how I designed it and was very impressed when I told him I used my EQ software. Ann in TN
Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
When we built the previous home I designed tile floors with my EQ software. I installed them without a hitch and when the contractor's brother in law (who was a tile setter) came by to pay him a visit he told me there wasn't enough money you could have paid him to lay that tile like that. I did insets of 1" glass tiles to make a rug pattern in the middle of the larger background tiles in the master bathroom. He asked me how I designed it and was very impressed when I told him I used my EQ software. Ann in TN
Oooo - do you have a picture? Would love to see it. Quiters are creative.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Well, I thought I did! I do have the design that I made up and maybe I can actually find a picture of the finished project tomorrow and post it. It could be on my laptop or my downstairs computer that I have in my quilting room. After the move and a computer crash last year I sometimes wonder if I only hallucinate these memories of things I have. The white part at the lower right is where the shower stuck out into the room. Ann in Tn

Master Bathroom Floor Pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132093[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-132088.jpe