Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ5 vs. EQ6 - to upgrade or not to upgrade? >

EQ5 vs. EQ6 - to upgrade or not to upgrade?

EQ5 vs. EQ6 - to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 AM

It does have a shading option to check, but in the particular blocks I'm working on, all it does is shade the entire thing. So, it's either a white page with lines or a shaded page with lines.

I would like to customize the templates a bit so that the shading was in a light color of the original block and there'd be much less confusion.

As it is, I have to do that myself with colored pencils. You'll notice when you download templates from Blocks Galore, they provide a color swatch on the portion of the pattern that is to be that color.

EQ5 doesn't.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by nor'easter
You know, I can really understand the resistance to buying EQ6 because of the activation limits. Perhaps if the company was made aware by enough polite emails and letters from quilters, both those with EQ5 and those of us who are considering buying something for the first time, so they know that this is the ONLY reason we would not purchase EQ6...well, maybe they would rethink their policy. Maybe. Just a thought.
Nor'easter, that's a really good point. I will do that and if everyone else does who have a problem with the limit, then maybe they will change it!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Banned

I just figure they can't know it's an issue unless we tell them, right? Certainly can't hurt!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Banned

oh they know....

I was roundly trounced on the EQ forum for having the audacity to be upset over spending that much money for a program and not knowing about the 4 time limit until the box got here...

somebody said something to the effect that I already knew... no, I did not, I ordered from the Joanns site and as I've said before, the thought that installations are restricted never entered my mind.... I think it's a real crappy way to insure 'upgrades' forever and a nasty way to treat customers.... believe me, my hubby can use his bandsaw more than four times or another analogy - his book of patterns.

I have NOT stolen from that company. I had/have no intentions of stealing from that company. I don't know anybody who HAS stolen from that company. I do know other people with EQ5 - I did not ask for nor was I offered a 'copy' of the program.... I just ordered the newest version for myself.... yet the company 'assumes' that I'm a thief, you are a thief, and "Jane Doe" is a thief so they restrict it... bah humbug...

The other thing that really really po's me is the fact that you HAVE to have internet access to install the program!.... So I guess if we have to give up internet and something happens that I have to reinstall my program, I'm outta luck once again....

So if you know somebody who has a computer, does quilting and doesn't surf the 'net, make sure they KNOW that you HAVE to be able to connect to the internet to install it....

As I've said, I like the program - but I can live without it, and I WON'T buy it again... and when the day comes that the version I have that I paid for $$$$ can't be installed on my computer because they are no longer supporting it, or they are no longer in business (believe me, it happens) or for whatever reason, then we all just go, "gee tough toenails, they were just protecting themselves"

There are apparently a gazillion people out there with lots more money than we have who can keep on the upgrade frenzy, who don't mind being accused of being a thief, and can afford the internet no matter what, and who for whatever reasons seem to think that the policy of 4 installations/internet needed is perfectly reasonable :?: but I'm not one of them....

This is all my opinion only and you are free to disagree - I don't have any connection to the company except for the fact that I did spend the money to buy the program. And for what it's worth, I do use the program and I like it and it's fairly easy to learn and benefit from.... but I also quilted over 35 years without it.... as did all our ancestors! - they used anything they could get their hands on to make their own patterns - nothin' electronic about it and they fer shure didn't worry about whether somebody stole a pattern they made up... they shared - after all, aren't some of you doing the 'Dear Jane" with all those patterns??
There's a similar book called:
"The Amish Circle Quilt" by Rosemary Youngs (kp books) 2004
It's also a 'letter' book of quilt squares...121....

ask me how many Amish use EQ6... buwahahahahahaaaa
Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

I am well aware that you feel very strongly that you were taken advantage of, Janeen, but I'm not talking about voicing off to a users group or forum. I'm talking about a polite note to the company by those who have not and will not purchase this software because of the activation limits. Personally, I design with Excel and it suits me just fine, at least for now. As for "Amish Quilts", most are no longer made by the Amish so who knows what the makers use.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:02 AM

hey cordila, You are right. I tried a different one. But the EQ6 with its limited loading in my opinion is not worth the price. I have taken EQ5 off my old computer dozens of times. On a laptop,on a borrowed compter, and on this one. But different prefences is what makes this world a wonderful place to live in.

Bonnie
Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 AM

hey cordila, You are right. I tried a different one. But the EQ6 with its limited loading in my opinion is not worth the price. I have taken EQ5 off my old computer dozens of times. On a laptop,on a borrowed compter, which I took off when I returned it, and on this one. But different prefences is what makes this world a wonderful place to live in.

Bonnie

GOLLY GEEWHEEZE how did I do that twice. Sorry I didn't mean to do that.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 AM

I have been considering the upgrade and am very wary. If I upgraded, would that mean I no longer could install EQ5?

I'm debating sending a cordial note to them explaining my reluctance to purchase their product with the limited activations. That's a royal pain in the neck. It just provides more aggravation and ill-will on the part of paying customers. I do want the upgrade, but not the added hassle. Right now I don't believe the upgrade merits the expense and future limitations.

The loss of sales over this and the animosity of offended customers would end up replacing some of the theft/loss they're trying to prevent.

It's a cut and loss approach to the theft problem, seems to me.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:51 AM

here's info from their website on activations - i can see why they feel they need to monitor it. it doesn't say they'll flat deny any requests over 4. they just need to make sure that piracy isn't taking place and it looks like they do that through one-on-one communication with the end user.

i just bought EQ5 and will probably wait until EQ7 before i upgrade/purchase a newer version.

http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ...ctivations.asp
Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 PM

I have a question about EQ5. If I design something in EQ5 and then want to save it to my pictures so that I can share it here, how do I do that? I've seen Patrice and a few others with the EQ files saved & shared, but really can't figure this out.