Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ7--all my projects are gone. >

EQ7--all my projects are gone.

EQ7--all my projects are gone.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:01 PM

Thanks, Penny. I emailed the help part--but so far no response--but it's the weekend.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 PM

They've been found!!! I had moved them to "Pictures" rather than "Documents" and all it took was a search of pj6 and pj7 to find them! I had no idea that would create empty folders. A rep from EQ sent a long informative email that helped me find them in a hurry. Yay! I asked her if I could post her directions for others... if she says yes, I will.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

So glad you found them Karla!! I know how upset I was when I couldn't find mine!! I made sure I learned to back mine up on a flash drive so I have them now.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:56 PM

She said it's a great idea! :-D

Dear Karla,

That message means that something on your computer has been moved or deleted so EQ7 is having trouble finding all its files. Please put the EQ7 CD into your drive when you are asked for it and the installation will repair itself.

If you didn't move or delete any files or folders for EQ7, do you have a registry cleaner on that computer? It's possible that such a cleaner might not recognize EQ7 as a program and therefore might delete it. If you do have a registry cleaner software there should be a way to tell the "cleaner" that you want to make an exception and not have EQ7 removed.

I found more information about registry cleaners here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaners are software utilities that attempt to remove configuration data from the Windows Registry that is no longer in use or that is unwanted on the system. Such data may include information left by software that has not been uninstalled completely from the computer, information that is no longer of use, or settings required for the operation of malware. A registry cleaner scans the registry, and attempts to pick out the unnecessary values in order to delete or repair them.

If you have a program that cleans out cookies, etc. it is possible that might be cleaning out files it does not recognize. Does the program have a way that you can make an exception for a file type? If it does, you could make an exception for .pj7 which is the file format for an EQ7 project file.

The other thing that I have found on searching online of a couple times is that Windows, for some reason creates a “Recent” folder and moves the contents of your Documents folder into the Recent folder instead. There’s no documentation that I can find about why Windows does this, or how to prevent Windows from doing this.

I don’t know what version of Windows you have, but you’ll want to search your computer for all files ending in .pj6 and .pj7, so in the Windows search box, type *.pj6 Then, after you’ve found where the files were moved to, put them back in Documents > My EQ6 > PJ6. Do the same thing for EQ7, type *.pj7 in the Windows search box and put those files back in Documents > My EQ7 > PJ7

Here are a few links, two from Microsoft and one from a general forums site about this problem, with ideas on what to do:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...9-11198c4cc9f6

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...f-42e6917975c0

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...rt/1035532.htm

I hope this helps!

Best Wishes,

Sara
Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM

Can I asm a dumb question? just what is a WQ ? I have seen it mentioned so many times and I dont really know what it is............. maybe I am not the only one? then again, maybe I am.............
Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 PM

sorry, meant to say W EQ.........ttying to type here winout my glasses..........duh............
Old 09-13-2010, 02:16 PM

4dogs--there are no dumb questions! :-D

This website can answer your question--and much better than any attempt I may try! http://www.electricquilt.com/
Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by barnbum
They've been found!!! I had moved them to "Pictures" rather than "Documents"all it took was a search of pj6 and pj7 to find them! I had no idea that would create empty folders. A rep from EQ sent a long informative email that helped me find them in a hurry. Yay! I asked her if I could post her directions for others... if she says yes, I will.
Woo Hoo!! I am so happy for you!! Nothing worse then losing something that important. I am glad you found the files.