Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To EQ8 or not? >

To EQ8 or not?

To EQ8 or not?

Old 09-02-2019, 06:14 PM

I use my EQ8 about once a month and really appreciate it. I use it for basic questions - size of quilt with X number of blocks and what size borders to use. I have also used it to make certain a quilt with over 150 blocks didn't have two blocks with the same color side by side (I imported the fabric from Kaffe Fasset website). I use it to design some pretty simple quilts. I am very happy with it.

I purchased the EQ8 Training manual for about $30 and it has been helpful in the learning curve.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:59 PM

I don't have EQ8 but use my EQ7 all the time. I agree with whoever said it is not for people who have to have a pattern and actually follow the pattern. I have to do it my way, because most of the time I can't understand what the patterns are telling me to do. Unless it is a Judy Neimeyer PP pattern, I almost always redraw the quilt in EQ7. Then I see about colors and do I want sashings or not? Do I want corner blocks in the sashings or not? How do I want the borders? It really helps me decide on a design, but even then, I may change it as I go. My friend calls me a quilt rebel. I prefer to think of myself as a free thinker and artiste'. "smile"
Old 09-03-2019, 04:52 AM

One thing I've found with EQ; if I can't figure out how to do something, I email my question to the company and they always answer quickly and helpfully. So I know that anything I need to do in EQ I'll be able to, even if it requires their help. I use EQ often.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:56 AM

I just bought an EQ8 and am (slowly) learning how to use it.
That said, I have already designed a placemat from scratch and I have copied a block that I wanted to increase the size of, so it isn't brain surgery.
The idea that I can draw things or import pictures and turn them into paper piecing is a real plus to me.

Watson
Old 09-03-2019, 12:35 PM

I
Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
I bought it, installed it and yes there is a huge learning curve. It takes time to learn it and when I'm in a hurry I just use my old method, graph paper and pencil. Finding the time or making the time to learn it is my big problem. The program is great, lots of excellent features.

I agree, I mostly use EQ if I want to change the size of a quilt, it will figure out the correct yardage