Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Estimating thread useage? What would you do? >

Estimating thread useage? What would you do?

Estimating thread useage? What would you do?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 AM

Default Estimating thread useage? What would you do?

How do you determine how much thread you use FMQing a quilt? I am having the hardest time deciding what to order for my next quilt.

My last quilt which was a similar size used one thread and I used about 6,000 meters of thread. This next quilt will be split among 7 colors, used fairly evenly, so it seems like a 1,000 meter spool of each should be enough.

The thing though, it costs the same to buy two 1,000 meter spool than it is to buy a 5,000 m cone of thread. So if I'm going to need more than one spool, I think I'd rather buy the cone. I hate spending extra money, but I also prefer a good deal.

For Isacord, the 1,000 meter spools are $3.45, the 5,000 meter cones are $6.95. Obviously, buying 7 cones is going to be a lot more expensive than buying 7 spools. But should I do it "just in case"? I mean- it's thread, I'll probably use it eventually right? The place I get it from doesn't have free shipping, so ordering extra later can be costly (Shipping costs $10-$12, so ordering more than once gets expensive)

The other thing I'm having trouble with is deciding if I should use Isacord or Superior Magnifico. I've used Isacord in the past and been very happy with it, but I hear Magnifico is shiner and that would be a really nice look. It is A LOT more expensive, though I have a friend that can get it for me at wholesale. At wholesale prices, a 3,000 yard cone costs the same as the 5,000 meters of Isacord. Is it a much nicer thread that it would be worth paying the extra for it?

I hate making decisions. What would you do?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 AM

I would buy the Isacord for this project as you know and like this thread, order one spool of the Magnifico to try and then buy more if you like it.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I usually buy 2 spools of thread for quilting a twin quilt. I had barely enough thread once for a twin with one spool so I over buy now.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I usually buy 2 spools of thread for quilting a twin quilt. I had barely enough thread once for a twin with one spool so I over buy now.
Yeah- 2 spools usually works for a twin quilt, but this is going to be very heavily quilted, about 1/8" to 1/16" apart on all quilts. That's why I'm using the 6,000 meters for my last quilt (16 square feet).
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltNama View Post
order one spool of the Magnifico to try and then buy more if you like it.
Shipping is the main reason this is a pain, it's extra money every time. I wish I had an unlimited source of money!

I think I should probably stick to the Isacord, but I'm not sure how to decide between cones or spools still.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
How do you determine how much thread you use FMQing a quilt? I am having the hardest time deciding what to order for my next quilt.
Maybe this would help? A free app from Superior threads called 'How Much Thread'.
http://xyo.net/ipad-app/how-much-thread-_eUKwfU/#
Old 10-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

If you like a shiney thread and a bargain try Metro Embroidery thread. I have used it in my LA with no problems whatsoever. It is very shiney, almost metallic.
http://www.metroemb.com/store/

Nice thread and dirt cheap, so inexpensive you can easily order nothing but the 5000 meter cones and not bat an eye at the cost. If I need an unusual color I go with it. My preferred thread is Glide which you can purchase direct from bobbincentral.com in larger quantities. Smaller you can purchase from quilts complete:
http://www.quiltscomplete.com/Depart...ead/Glide.aspx It is priced similar to Isacord.

Edited to add, I rarely mess around with the 1000 meter minis unless it is a color I expect not to use much. So in your particular situation, are the colors ones that you think you will use again? If so then go with the big cones, if not try to order only what you need.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-22-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: remove political statement
Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post

Nice thread and dirt cheap
Thanks for the recommendation: have you had any breakage issues with it? The design will require a lot of travel stitching, so that is a worry with a 'cheap' thread.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Maybe this would help? A free app from Superior threads called 'How Much Thread'.
http://xyo.net/ipad-app/how-much-thread-_eUKwfU/#
Unfortunately, I don't have a way to use that. Since it is only for ipad/iphone.
I also think it is unlikely to work for me, since it appears to be based on quilt size and doesn't appear to account for density. (I'm doing smaller than a twin, but will use way more thread than I ever have on a bed quilt.)
Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 AM

It was worth a shot...and since my phone is 15 years old, I have no way to use it either.