Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever been this stupid? >

Ever been this stupid?

Ever been this stupid?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ellis' Granny B
Ditto with leaving the paper in if it is a wall hanging. Many of the older quilters left the paper in, especiallyEnglish paper piecing. Some quilters were so poor that they actually used paper instead of batting. Don't beat up on yourself. If the kids hear any crackling.... it's the robots :lol:
Love your answer, Granny B. Those robots can be so darn noisy!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Yeppers! Even stupider (is that a word? lol)! Some years ago I was making a quilt for my soon-to-be-born grandson, decided to use the fusible batting (for the first time ever)...used a lacquer finished wood table top to fuse the batting onto the fabric...ooops!...the back of the quilt stuck onto the table top! When I managed to peel it off part of the finish of the table came off with it in one spot! I was sick at heart over it as time was of the essence to get it finished before the baby shower a few days from then. I know quilt labels aren't supposed to be in the center of the quilt back...but that's where I put it to cover up the stain...lol! But the worse part was that the table wasn't even mine!...it was a friend's! OOPS!!!!!

Please let us see a pic of the robot quilt before you give it to the class ok? Bet they'll love it!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I've been carefully and happily making a quilt for my daughter's second grade class room that is decorated with Robots.

I was so proud of all the different robots and space ships and even a big quarter moon with a cow jumping over it for added interest. (These are for 7 year olds).

I downloaded lots of different ones, drew them on iron-on backing, cut them out and then decided to hand sew them on.

Without remembering the small, necessary fact of removing the backing, all the while chatting with a friend and doing a lovely job on them. Then just today the cat landed on my lap and I heard paper crinkling...I could just cry I was so mad at myself. Now I'm going to have to cut out some of the applique stitches and with long tweezers pull out the paper, then I can iron them on like they should have been to start with. It will still be ready for Christmas, I know, but it's still maddening.
Sure! But the worst was when I made the serious mistake, I ripped it out, sewed it together and then made the same dang mistake over again.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Oh so sorry!

I see that there are 4 pages of responses, so I know that someone has given you a solution that you are happy with ... well maybe not 'happy'

good luck, and I know you won't make that mistake again... sometimes learning experiences are no fun.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 10-22-2010, 04:23 PM

Just have a big laugh over it, it won't seem so bad. We all make mistakes after all we are human.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM

My stupid human trick is that I mirror what I see...like I look at the pattern and the pictures and then do it completely backwards. Others don't really know it but it bothers the heck out of me! It is especially aggravating with putting together any sewing project that is supposed to have a "flap" on one side...it ends up on the wrong side! I am aware of it and try very hard not to do it but end up doing it anyway! It made learning to knit very difficult. I am right handed but my stitches look like they were done left handed...quilting is not as bad because I can blow uo a full color picture and lay it out on top and sew it piece by piece...I almost cut the angle backwards on half of the diamonds in my avatar.
I like the comments saying to leave the paper and tell the kids it is the robots. :) Very creative!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

No, haven't done that, I do needle turn applique when I do it, not very often.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by merridancer
Yup, did that very thing. Didn't notice it until after I gave it to them. Too late to do anything about it. After it was washed a few times, it stopped crackling.

I left a measuring tape in another one. It's still in it.

They make great stories to rag me about.
Well, I am still laughing about the end of the crackling!! I spose if you don't mention these things, nobody else notices.
How funny!!
It's called rolling with the punches!
Like the others, I would slit the appliques from the back. When you iron them down, that should re-seal them, and then it will have batting and backing.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM

I know you are upset now, but think what a great story it will make years from now when you can laugh about it. I've done some dumb things that seemed awful and now when I talk about them it somehow seems very funny. There isn't a doubt in my mind that tomorrow, or the next day, I'll do something dumb.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Good luck pulling out the paper, it probably will be stuck to the design. You are better off taking out all the applique stitches, and use another sheet of stitch witchery or what ever you use.

I did that not too long ago with a small piece it fell off when I turned it over to press.