Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The ever elusive SCANT 1/4" seam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
    Why doesn't someone just make a "scant 1/4" foot"? Would save us all a lot of trouble when a pattern calls for it.
    Precisely! However, I do think sometimes the the fabric and thread used affects the finished size. Better still would be an adjustable foot so that the "edge" could be moved to the left of the 1/4" mark giving even an 1/8" seam allowance if required. Wouldn't that be brilliant. Not all machines allow the needle to be moved to the right, mine doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, a quarter inch foot for the Janome won't give you a quarter of an inch unless you move the needle over. You'll have to test and find out exactly where that is for your machine.
    Yes, this is so. I set mine at 5.8 when I am using the 1/4 in. walking foot. But if you are using the regular foot just move the needle until it is where it needs to be.
    Peace

Blog Entries
    I always wondered if you can't get the 1/4 inch right, how can you possibly get the scant 1/4...I use painters take to mark the bed of the machine.

Lynn
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

Blog Entries
    On my Janome 6600 I move the width (needle) to 4.1 and it gives me exactly what I need-there is room on my 1/4" foot for this-we have found that Janome in general gives a generous 1/4" which can make for some frustrating sewing!
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

I do have the accufeed 1/4" foot and I'm going to try that. Going to try the method suggested by bearisgray and let you know how I come out. This is driving me insane-----didn't have far to go, lol

Blog Entries
    Rather than depending on a 1/4" foot I eyeball the edge of the fabric on the throatplate (is that what it is called?) of my machine......or on the foot that I am using. Sew a sample and watch where the edge goes on the toe of the foot you are using and adjust accordingly. Is this clear as mud?

My blocks always come out to small when I set my machine for 1/4 in. In fact all my machines do not work with a 1/4 in setting. So I set my machines for a smaller seam to get an accurate block.

What good is a 1/4" foot, if you need a scant 1/4"? LOL

Blog Entries
    There is eoungh room to move you needle over with your 1/4 foot.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GemState View Post
    Rather than depending on a 1/4" foot I eyeball the edge of the fabric on the throatplate (is that what it is called?) of my machine......or on the foot that I am using. Sew a sample and watch where the edge goes on the toe of the foot you are using and adjust accordingly. Is this clear as mud?
    This is basically what I do - rather than rant and rail and rave and rage about the foot and the seam allowance - this is SUCH a simple, basic, easy to do solution - although it DOES call for making a sample WITH THE FABRICS AND THREAD YOU PLAN TO USE FOR THE PROJECT- which takes what ? maybe 10 minutes max.

As Holice and others have said - even if one was using EXACTLY the same foot EXACTLY the same way - different fabric and thread weights will work up differently. One size/method does not fit all.

Sometimes one just has to adapt a bit to get the desired results.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 05-02-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Make sure your blocks are large enough before sewing. 1/4 wouldn't make it enough to cause it to be off 1/2 inch. Believe it or not; not all rulers are created equal either. Check the size of your blocks and then also sew a test strip to see what your seams are. Maybe your foot isn't accurate and it if isn't allowing you to move your needle over far enough then you'll have to use a different foot that will.
    Judy

I did the 3 strip test and it measure 4 1/4". Does the 'scant' mean bigger or smaller? Move the needle to the left for increasing the seam and move it to the right for decreasing the seam? Is this right? Which way should I move the needle?

Just ran into this myself making a D9P. Cut perfect 6" strips; pressed the seams. One of the fabrics shrunk as I touched it with the iron. The bolt said 100% cotton, but the fabric acted more like a blend. It's frustrating, but it's not always your fault.
    Shirley in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
    I did the 3 strip test and it measure 4 1/4". Does the 'scant' mean bigger or smaller? Move the needle to the left for increasing the seam and move it to the right for decreasing the seam? Is this right? Which way should I move the needle?
    I believe that "scant" means smaller ... move it to the right so you are decreasing the space between the edge of the fabric and the thread.

Suzy

Power Poster
    Assuming the seam edge of your fabric is to the right of the needle - move the needle to the RIGHT to make a narrower seam.

Try it - and make notes to yourself on the samples - so you can remember what you did.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
    Just ran into this myself making a D9P. Cut perfect 6" strips; pressed the seams. One of the fabrics shrunk as I touched it with the iron. The bolt said 100% cotton, but the fabric acted more like a blend. It's frustrating, but it's not always your fault.
    In my experience - SOME 'quilting type cottons' have shrunk drastically. Which is ONE of the reasons why some of us wash the fabrics first.

To me, handling a washed fabric is like seeing a person without make-up. I know what I actually have to work with.When it's washed, I have a much better idea of what I'm actually working with and how the fabric will behave down the line after it's incorporated into another item.

Quote Originally Posted by indymta View Post
    This is true. Learned the hard way! I have a Janome 6600 and even though I use the 1/4 inch foot, I have to move the needle to 4.5 to get 1/4 inch. As scissor queen says you will have to sew and adjust until you find the "spot".
    I have the Janome 6600 and move the needle over to 5.7 for my quarter inch using the quarter inch foot......Every machine is different....that's why we should always sew a "sample seam".

I detest the SCANT!!!! can it be outlawed?

The teating with 3 - 1 1/2" strips is a great testing method.

2 other things I have found:

(1) If you dont' prewash, sometimes when you press, the block shrinks up a smidge more leaving you short! annoying.

(2) Check the thickness of your fabric. If I have two cottons, one more silky slim, and one more bulky thick. the thick ones can make you short. so, on those your scant has to be scantier! Then with silky slimmer ones, that same scant can leave you with a bit too large of block, annoying too.

It is truly a project by project deal. I do obsess a bit and square as I go. The more pieces in a block, the more checking I do as it grows. But, in the end I get square quilts with blocks pretty even! So it is worth it to me.
    Last edited by kerriy; 05-02-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anndr View Post
    I totally agree. To make things so much easier, just make a scant 1/4" foot. Problem solved. No more guess work! Just do it! ~~Ann~~
    Good idea, but can you see the engineer's face when you tell him/her to make a "scant" 1/4" foot for a sewing machine? The engineers I know would either laugh so hard they couldn't stand up, or skyrocket to the clouds! Scant is what keeps us humble. Just sayin'

BTW, I bought the Kitchen Aide dough hook with the silicone added to get all the dough out of the bottom of the bowl. Guess what? It's not perfect, either, so guess we are on our own with some of this stuff.

gigi712, I feel your pain. I'm new at piecing and self taught and have a Janome 6500. I've spent I don't know how much on quarter inch feet. I kept thinking one would work better than the other. They're fine when just piecing two pieces of fabric together. But........ when there's bulk in the seam you're sewing, the fabric skids out of control because the 1/4" foot doesn't cover all the feed dogs. So, what works for me now is using the seam guide that came with the machine, using a full size regular foot that covers all the feed dogs and moving the needle to where I need it to be. If you have an accufeed foot with a 1/4" guide, that should work good for you. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post

There is a wonderful Yahoo group for owners of the 6500/6600/7700 series of machines; very helpful on these types of issues!
    Lynda ~ what is the Yahoo group that you mentioned? I have had the 7700 for a few months & would be interested in getting some tips on how to use it more efficiently.
    “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”

~ Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
    I detest the SCANT!!!! can it be outlawed?
    If we're voting, you got my vote!!

JRedman, I have the 1/4" foot with flange and the accufeed will attach to it, however, I can't get my presser foot all the way down if that makes any sense.

Ok, everybody. I think I've hit my 'spot'. I know it sounds awful, but it's a good thang for me!!!! It's between 3.8 and 3.9, both work equally as well. Thanks everyone!!! Now to see if I can remember it next time I turn my machine on. Methinks I need a big marks a lot pen and write it down in big letters and post it in front of my machine. Will that work? Nah, but I can say I gave it a try. Thanks again, everyone. You've literally saved me from the looney bin today. Who knows about tomorrow? They keep a van on stand-by for me. r

I have the 6600 also. If you're using the accufeed 1/4" foot, are you engaging the accufeed in the uppermost position (extra high), locking it in and then dropping the foot when fully engaged? I use this foot for all my piecing. I find it gives me much more accurate seams. I know all our machines are a little different, but for a scant 1/4" I use the 5.9 setting. I still do a test piecing strip each time I start a quilt just to be sure. Different pressing techniques can also change the size of your blocks slightly.

You can also save your setting by using the memory buttons. Just push the blue "m" with the arrows at the top and the red "m" at the bottom and it will save it for the next time. Best of luck!

JRedman, I have the 1/4" foot with flange and the accufeed will attach to it, however, I can't get my presser foot all the way down if that makes any sense.

Ok, everybody. I think I've hit my 'spot'. I know it sounds awful, but it's a good thang for me!!!! It's between 3.8 and 3.9, both work equally as well. Thanks everyone!!! Now to see if I can remember it next time I turn my machine on. Methinks I need a big marks a lot pen and write it down in big letters and post it in front of my machine. Will that work? Nah, but I can say I gave it a try. Thanks again, everyone. You've literally saved me from the looney bin today. Who knows about tomorrow? They keep a van on stand-by for me. r

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast