Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The ever elusive SCANT 1/4" seam

I just use a 1/4" seam, no movement of needle allowed. If the quilt doesn't measure what it should I increase the border sizes.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I bought a second 1/4 inch foot. DH used his grinder to shave it to give me my scant 1/4 inch.LOL, but hey it works for me.
    True4uca

Quote Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
    Ok, everybody. I think I've hit my 'spot'. I know it sounds awful, but it's a good thang for me!!!! It's between 3.8 and 3.9, both work equally as well. Thanks everyone!!! Now to see if I can remember it next time I turn my machine on. Methinks I need a big marks a lot pen and write it down in big letters and post it in front of my machine. Will that work? Nah, but I can say I gave it a try. Thanks again, everyone. You've literally saved me from the looney bin today. Who knows about tomorrow? They keep a van on stand-by for me. r
    Just remember, while that spot works for the weight of fabric and thread you are using for the project you are currently working on, there is absolutely no guarantee that it'll work with different fabric, thread, pressing, and/or cutting some day in the future. Test the accuracy with each project...and put that on your 'reminder'.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

ghostrider, I've learned my lesson. In fact I copied bearisgray's instructions with your correction so I can remember to do it. Guess what????? I just made a PERFECT 8 1/2" square. *doing the happy dance*

Blog Entries
    I have the scant little foot From Nancy's Notions and it is my favorite foot for scant !!Check it out on her sale this weekend.

ghostrider, I've learned my lesson. In fact I copied bearisgray's instructions with your correction so I can remember to do it. Guess what????? I just made a PERFECT 8 1/2" square. *doing the happy dance*
    Way to go!!

Leah Day sells a scant quarter inch foot in plastic

Like Scissor Queen I too have a Janome and you can adjust the needle by adjusting the stitch width or zig zag stitch. you just have to remember to reset it every time you turn your machine off and back on again. I love my Janome.

Quote Originally Posted by JReadman View Post
    Lynda ~ what is the Yahoo group that you mentioned? I have had the 7700 for a few months & would be interested in getting some tips on how to use it more efficiently.
    7700 users have a separate group in addition to the 6500/6600/7700. Here are the links to join:

7700 only group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JanomeHorizon7700/

6500/6600/7700 group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Janome6500/

Both groups have a wealth of info and it's fascinating to read the archives, which are searchable. If you have a problem or just a question about your Janome, you'll find answers. There are also several notable quilters who are members of the groups. The groups are geared mostly to quilters but there are other sewists there as well.

Blog Entries
    Other things you have to take in consideration are the thickness of the fabric and thread. When pressing heavier fabric the fold takes up a thread or two. Same rule applies to the weight of thread.
    The Quilting Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
    7700 users have a separate group in addition to the 6500/6600/7700. Here are the links to join:

7700 only group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JanomeHorizon7700/

6500/6600/7700 group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Janome6500/

Both groups have a wealth of info and it's fascinating to read the archives, which are searchable. If you have a problem or just a question about your Janome, you'll find answers. There are also several notable quilters who are members of the groups. The groups are geared mostly to quilters but there are other sewists there as well.
    Thank you so much - can't wait to check them out!!
    “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”

~ Dr. Seuss

I have the same problem. I wish when they design the patterns they use 1/4 not a scant. on my Janome 6260 I have to set my needle at 4.5 and on my 5200 I have to set it at 5.5. So you just have to practice where to set the needle. Good luck

I do have the accufeed 1/4" foot and I'm going to try that. Going to try the method suggested by bearisgray and let you know how I come out. This is driving me insane-----didn't have far to go, lol
    I have to ask an embarrassing question, what is an accufeed foot? I have 2 Pfaff's, do they make them for Pfaff's?

I have what I call "my 1/4 inch", and as long as I'm consistent, the quilt comes out fine!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by athenascooter View Post
    I have the same problem. I wish when they design the patterns they use 1/4 not a scant.
    To do that, they would have to tell you to cut all the pieces a "scooch" bigger than they do now or else say you can only use specific fabric and thread weights when making that pattern. Adjusting the seam allowance is by far the easiest option for the broadest range of people. Don't find fault, find a solution that works best for you.

My machine has a walking foot attachment, and if I move the needle all the way to the right, the seam measures a scant quarter inch, one click less, and I have a quarter inch seam. Sometimes the walking foot is not attached, and then I have to wing it.

I agree with Sylviak - there should be a scant 1/4" foot. However, if you can't move the needle far enough, you could find exactly where a scant 1/4" is on your machine and mark the spot with some post-its, the adhesive strips for your feet (can't remember what they're called) or something else like that. Your material will then butt up to it while you're sewing.

Blog Entries

yes had this problem with 1/4 on my 6600

I have a Janome 6600 and I'm using my 1/4 inch foot. I need 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 blocks. Every stinking one I've made is 8 x 8 or a little bigger, not even close to the 8 1/2. It has to be the
    SCANT part that I'm messing up. With the 1/4 inch foot, there's not much room to move my needle over. Do I need to change my foot? I'm at my wit's end here. Can anybody give me any advice? I"ve done the search here and nothing seems to 'click' with me. Hellllllp! Please.
    hi I have the same machine I have mine set at 3.7 and I got a new 1/4 foot on line it is clear with red markings on it and a black guide on side and a screw on the side to move it or take it off and it comes with a second guide to center in middle for stitch in the ditch love this foot there is room to move needle so you well get the 1/4 you need if you want to get a hold of me I can send picture

I am thinking a quarter inch is a quarter inch and the manufacturers should fix the foot to be what it is supposed to be and the pattern makers should allow for the thread, etc., or more than they are presently. I have a 43-year old Elna Super that does a superb job of sewing. My first project nearly drove me carefully as I was religiously adhering to the 1/4 inch foot. Discovered my putting a tape measure at the edge of the foot and lowering the needle manually that it was off a skosh. Moved the needle and marked it because it isn't off as much as where the markings start. Now the projects are going swimmingly regardless of thread, thickness of fabric, etc. Also measure a lot to be sure it doesn't get off before going too far.

Blog Entries
    I did the 3 strip test and it measure 4 1/4". Does the 'scant' mean bigger or smaller? Move the needle to the left for increasing the seam and move it to the right for decreasing the seam? Is this right? Which way should I move the needle?
    Scant means smaller. Move the needle to the right with the edge of the fabric on the right.
    Karen from Louisiana

Blog Entries
    I really never understood the "scant". I think originally it was called that is because if you saw a 1/4 in you will lose some in the measurement from the take up of fabric. You should always use the needle position for your measurement not the foot. Most mistakes are made before sewing begins. I'm with the others check and recheck at the different steps.
    Sewflower

Blog Entries

This is the foot i love for 1/4 just love this foot

I have a Janome 6600 and I'm using my 1/4 inch foot. I need 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 blocks. Every stinking one I've made is 8 x 8 or a little bigger, not even close to the 8 1/2. It has to be the
    SCANT part that I'm messing up. With the 1/4 inch foot, there's not much room to move my needle over. Do I need to change my foot? I'm at my wit's end here. Can anybody give me any advice? I"ve done the search here and nothing seems to 'click' with me. Hellllllp! Please.
    http://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome-c...and-guide-set/

If you make the entire pattern using the same seam allowance ( your i/4 inch ) it should all go together just fine.

Sanpot

Quote Originally Posted by indymta View Post
    This is true. Learned the hard way! I have a Janome 6600 and even though I use the 1/4 inch foot, I have to move the needle to 4.5 to get 1/4 inch. As scissor queen says you will have to sew and adjust until you find the "spot".
    I had the same problem until I realised that I had to move the "zigzag" button (which moves the needle over) to 4, on my Janome 6600.

Sometimes with the 1/4 foot with the sidebar there is a tendanct to push the fabric against it making the 1/4" larger.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast