Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever had someone tell you not to make them a quilt? >

Ever had someone tell you not to make them a quilt?

Ever had someone tell you not to make them a quilt?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:56 AM
bj

A lot of men also associate quilt with girly. My son was not thrilled when I told him I was making him a quilt for college graduation. I made a rag quilt out of homespuns. He loved it...not girly, according to him. He keeps it on his couch and argues with his wife over who gets to cover up with it to watch tv. Now he has asked me to make him one with Texas Tech fabric like I made for his dad. Got the fabric. Hope to finish by his birthday. I say make him the quilt because it's something you want to do. Just go "manly" for him.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 AM

A couple of years ago, my DH and I spent a week at his aunt and uncle's place in Cape Coral, Florida. I was showing her pictures of quilts that I had made and she politely asked me not to make her a quilt as it is very warm there and they wouldn't use one. I wanted to do something nice for her since they were such wonderful hosts. Since I knew they entertain all of the time and they have a beautiful sun room, I made a set of 6 quilted, pieced placemats and 2 sets of matching coasters. Well she absoultely loved them. She still tells my MIL how many complements she gets on them. I didn't have hurt feelings, I just tried to find something that I thought she would appreciate since I knew a quilt wouldn't be it.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:26 AM

Few years ago I made one for my MIL but I think she didn't like it. I went to her house this weekend (they live 7 hours away) and she asked when I am making her a quilt. I said I had already made her one and she insisted I never had. I took her to the living room and showed her the quilt I made, used to stuff the spaces around the air conditioning unit. She then said that she ws kidding, she really doesn't want one.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
Few years ago I made one for my MIL but I think she didn't like it. I went to her house this weekend (they live 7 hours away) and she asked when I am making her a quilt. I said I had already made her one and she insisted I never had. I took her to the living room and showed her the quilt I made, used to stuff the spaces around the air conditioning unit. She then said that she ws kidding, she really doesn't want one.
Ouch! That would really hurt!
I am very lucky, I have a wonderful MIL. She cherishes the quilt I made for her and my FIL. She is not a quilter nor is she crafty, but she really appreciates all of the time and work that goes into making a quilt and she was honored that I made one for them.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
omg, i would have taken it out from around the air conditioner and taken it back home with me.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:58 AM

Make him a quilt, but with man colors. I made a quilt for my DH that my MIL absolutely loved. He and I gave it to her for a Christmas/bday present (same day) and she uses it all the time and just cherishes it. I made DH another quilt. My mom wants me to make her a quilt, just something simple that won't take too much time - her words, so am thinking about a turning 20 or D9P for her. She isn't real picky about the colors except no black nor does she care about the pattern. Hope to get it made this year but need to finish 1 DD's and do the other DDs as well. Thas'ts in addition to baby quilts and quilts for charity. But I have huge stash and Dh doesn't mind much if I add more to the stash.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Ha Ha that's actually kind of funny. I'm sure if you gave him one he'd use it...he's a man, what does he know??? :)
you know, they dont want to appear "needy" or excited, so go ahead and make it anyway. even if he doesnt end up using it" (but i am sure he will) he will still appreciate that YOU made it for your daddy :D
Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 AM

I mentioned to my son that I would make him a quilt and he stated that I would have to check with his wife as she wouldn't be happy with same. I had made my other 3 children quilts and they accepted them without rejection. I put the quilt away. I finally got it out a few months ago and finished the top and took it to my son and wife to see if they wanted the quilt when I finished and asked what type of back would they like. My son loved it and said Mom I'd pay for a quilt this pretty. (Double Irish Chain) Besides one of his sister stated she had dibbies if he didn't want it. So I guess time heals hurts.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM

My granddaughter told me she doesn't need any more quilts. I made her one when she was 3 and another when she was 16. She is 24 and specifically told me - no more quilts.

As for your father, perhaps he decided he didn't want anything else to have to give away when he passes. Some people are like that. My mom is one of those. She will accept the gift but you will get it back eventually. Perhaps your father is the same.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 AM

Upon asking our youngest daughter about the size for her quilt..SHE said that she did not want a quilt. When I told here that I already had it pieced (I made double blocks when I made one for our son) she said, "If that is all you have done, then don't finish because I don't want a quilt". I completed the quilt anyway, have it on OUR bed. Told the other children that 'when the time came' and she STILL did not want the quilt, then they could decide the fate...BUT, if at that time, she has grown to love quilts, she will have one made my her mom.... win-win situation, to me.