Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever had someone tell you not to make them a quilt? >

Ever had someone tell you not to make them a quilt?

Ever had someone tell you not to make them a quilt?

Old 01-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
My ex-husband's new wife had the gall to ask me to make them a quilt for their bed. I told her she couldn't afford what I would charge.
That was nervy!!! Good for you telling her no.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Just today, my MIL said she didn't want a lap quilt from me b/c a friend's daughter had already made her one. Don't know if I'm pissed or relieved. Maybe she thinks I'll need to buy fabric and she's worries about that b/c I'm unemployed. I'd have just sifted thru my stash to find some bright pretty fabrics and then made it. I may make one anyway only send to my mom and not MIL. Her loss.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
My dad would have said the same thing because he would not have wanted me to go to all that work for him. I bet his first response was the accurate one and he is trying to let you off the hook, so to speak, by saying that he doesn't want one. He might have felt like he was soliciting a quilt and didn't want you to feel put out. I would still make him that quilt.
I totally agree with this point of view.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Is he possibly worried that you would make him a foo-foo girly quilt with ruffles and pink? He may not realize that there are some nice "manly" patterns and colors and that a nap under a homemade quilt is 10x better than any other nap.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Well, I didn't ask, I just made my Dad a lap quilt using woodwork tools fabrics etc. Because he use to do that sort of thing. And he ask if I might be able to sell itor get something for it. Makes me wish I hadn't made it. Those fabrics weren't cheap. Could of use the money elsewhere. He complains about being cold even with the fleece lap thing his granddaughter via marriage made.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:33 AM

I have read most of the comments on this, their actually folks who do not care for quilts like we do. I would be every sure he wants a quilt before you make him one. If he did not use it I think you might feel really bad about it. Think about this, aren't there things you do not care for how would you feel if someone spend alot of time on that and gave it to you ?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:46 AM
k3n
Power Poster

My ex-husband's new wife had the gall to ask me to make them a quilt for their bed. I told her she couldn't afford what I would charge.
You should have done it then put itching powder in the batting! :mrgreen:
Old 01-28-2010, 03:32 AM

Stop and think. Your dad is probably very proud of you for making such a nice quilt. He wouldn't want you to miss the money that the project cost you. Some men have a way of saying things that tend to hide their real feelings. (some women too). Your dad is proud of you and really wants the quilt. He thinks it's wonderful enough to sell. Just insist that you made it especially for him, because you really want him to have it. Before long, he will be all wrapped up in your love. (And he'll be showing it off every chance he gets.)
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
You should have done it then put itching powder in the batting! :mrgreen:
:thumbup: YES! :thumbup:
Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 AM

My mother basically told me she does not like quilts at all. She thinks if she can buy something at Walmart for 15.00 that matches her room, why would she want something from me that she does not like as much becuase it does not match as well . . WHAT-EVER is what I say. Her loss.