Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever had someone tell you not to make them a quilt? >

Ever had someone tell you not to make them a quilt?

Ever had someone tell you not to make them a quilt?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM

Yes, My DIL. About 2 years ago, she said they had received as gifts several of the "Tie fleece blankets" & had a few quilts already, so they really didn't need any more. I figured that was honest & I wasn't going to do all that work if it wouldn't be appreciated. BUT.........she just gave me a couple of her quilts that were quite worn out to make mats for our Pug Rescue group so maybe she' in the market for a new one??? I
ll think about it! :roll:
Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM
dsj

I think he is feeling like maybe he put you on the spot and this is the way he is getting himself out of it. I am sure he would love one of your quilts.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:17 PM

I started to make a small quilt for my sister and made the mistake of showing it to her. I asked if she would like it finished for her dining table or as a wall hanging. Her reply was ... I should finish it how ever I wanted and then give it to her daughter who really liked the colors!
That was several months ago and I did NOT finish it for my niece! Today, I bought a couple of yards of complimentary fabric and I will send it to Linus Quilts for them to send to Haiti.
My sister will never know!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by myrna
I started to make a small quilt for my sister and made the mistake of showing it to her. I asked if she would like it finished for her dining table or as a wall hanging. Her reply was ... I should finish it how ever I wanted and then give it to her daughter who really liked the colors!
That was several months ago and I did NOT finish it for my niece! Today, I bought a couple of yards of complimentary fabric and I will send it to Linus Quilts for them to send to Haiti.
My sister will never know!
That is the best idea ever! Someone in Haiti will truly love your quilt.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 PM

My mom didn't really care for quilts. I think she made some negative association to growing up during the depression and her grandmother quilting out of necessity. She also had three daughters who all quilted, knitted and crocheted, so she had more afghans and quilts than anyone should have to store. In 2002 we both decluttered the closets and took over 30 afghans and lap quilts to a nursing home. She loved that we put so much effort into her gifts, and she used them, but quilts were just not her favorite things. Maybe your dad just doesn't like quilts.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

Well it's the other way around for me. I have said No to some who have asked me to make them a quilt. :lol: :lol:
Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 AM
dsj

BellaBoo, I am sure you had a good reason for that, just curious to why you said no thanks to a quilt.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Because the relatives that asked me I knew they would sell it it for little of nothing the day before payday. :!:
Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM

My ex-husband's new wife had the gall to ask me to make them a quilt for their bed. I told her she couldn't afford what I would charge.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:23 PM
dsj

I understand.