Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever lose interest in a project due to criticism?? >

Ever lose interest in a project due to criticism??

Ever lose interest in a project due to criticism??

Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 AM

I have had the same thing happen to me, my husbands taste and mine are very different, I call him Mr Dull, all of his clothes match each other. So I have tried to tell myself his opinoin won't count on this matter, but then he says something, and it will seem to ruin the whole project for me.

I wish I had some wisdom to impart, I am just as prone to this problem as you are!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:49 AM

You know, this happens to me too. I'll be going along on a project and someone will give me some thoughtless "advice" that causes me to lose interest and confidence. I usually put the project aside for a while, maybe do something fun like a table runner or blouse for myself and sooner, rather than later, guess what? I decide to pick the original project up and say,"Who cares what someone else thinks? If I like it, it's okay. I'm doing something I love and I'm learning something from it." If you can, go back to your original idea and show DH just how wrong he was. But show him in a kind way. Men really have no idea how tactless they are. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM

This almost happened to me, until I remembered it is about my creativity. I learned along time ago in life you aren't going to please everybody. As long as I'm happy with it and I trust the person will grow to love it.

Do what you love.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM

I can understand how you feel. My Dad use to build a lot of furniture & wood items. So I bought fabric with tools & wood grain etc. Built a large lap quilt just for him. What did he do & oh it nice why don't you see if you can sell it. Well, the label reads in such a way it is dedicated to him and I just can't sell it, not yet anyway. :lol: Anyway that kind of bummed me, wish I'd never spent what I did or made it. He hasn't ever used it and probably never will because he has a fleece his granddaugter-n-law made. :x
Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 PM

You know what just do you and the rest will follow. One can only imagine where any one would be in the quilting world if they always followed the crowd.

Quilt freely and creatively.

Diana
Old 05-27-2009, 05:09 PM

[quote=mimisharon] [quote] Let's laugh at all of this and say, "Ain't no such thang as an ugly quilt!"

Edited: Here is Hell Fire [quote]

i have room that would be a perfect place for hellfire to live, either as a bed quilt or an art quilt wallhanging. if you ever need to foster it out, i won't mind feeding and housing it for you until you're ready to take it home.

( :hunf: just you try!)
Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 AM

Camillacamilla,
I didn't get a chance to see your quilt but I'm sure it is beautiful!! Quilt granny yours is beautiful. It looks like a quilt that some one from my part of the country would make. The boots are great. Don't think I could do that.
Don't ever let someone else tell you how they think you should do a quilt. You are the one doing it. You envisioned it. It's your art. They should wait to see the finished product. I'm so lucky. My DH always thinks anything I make is beautiful and always brags about the quilts and paintings I do. Of course we have been married 43 years come July 14th.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:02 AM

I guess my family is different from others. We are all very supportive of each other's endeavors. My husband is interested in my quilting and always has really sweet things to say to me.

Maybe I just have a fragile ego and everyone knows I need to have it positively fed :wink:
Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 AM

My dh did that to me on one of my quilt projects and made me lose interest, but I continued on and finished, and he still put it down, till I said to him, " If you think it looks that bad then you go buy fabric you like and make your own and see if you can do it any better". He stopped putting his 2 cents in and now doesn't say a word, cause he knows he will have to make a quilt of his own if he does. I have made that a rule in our house!! Try it with your dh, see what happens, if he keeps it up take him to the quilt shop and let him get his own material and pattern and tell, this is what he is making ALL BY HIMSELF!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Obviously this topic touched a lot of nerves.

While I agree that you should finish it the way you want to, I probably would put it away and not finish it.

Do whatever makes YOU happiest.

T