Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever lose interest in a project due to criticism?? >

Ever lose interest in a project due to criticism??

Ever lose interest in a project due to criticism??

Old 05-23-2009, 06:16 PM

2K, I think the orange quilt is so cheery and happy!

2K and Quiltgranny, I have RA + other autoimmune disease troubles. Luckily, I am able to ease off the brain fog every day by taking a solid 2hour nap. Then I do some quilting, well unless it's a day my fingers don't work. So, I am very impressed with your abilities!

I don't know how I will react to someone not liking my quilting because it hasn't happened yet. That's probably because I've only made things for people close to me and I have never let them choose a pattern or colors (not necessary as I know what they like and their decor). I hate to admit this, but I will probably cry if someday it does happen so if I ever do experience criticism, I'd better reread what everyone here has said!

Cathy
Old 05-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

I went to a quilt store and bought a rather substantial stash. The owner (who knew me privately) said to me: "Please tell me you are not buying ALL THAT for the same project." I said that it was. She then asked:"What will you call it - Nightmare on Elm Street?" I told her that I would bring the finished piece in and that she WOULD EAT HER WORDS.

I made the quilt EXACTLY as I had envisioned, and took it in to her. She made a real sourpuss puckered face and said that it turned out differently than she had thought.

SO, if you have the design in your mind, then you go ahead and finish it. If for no other reason than to prove to YOURSELF that YOU WERE RIGHT in your choice.

I'm pretty sure that DH would not have made a comment, had he known that he could knock you off center.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs
2K, I think the orange quilt is so cheery and happy!

2K and Quiltgranny, I have RA + other autoimmune disease troubles. Luckily, I am able to ease off the brain fog every day by taking a solid 2hour nap. Then I do some quilting, well unless it's a day my fingers don't work. So, I am very impressed with your abilities!

Cathy
Hi Cathy,

My RA is in remission, but I do also have Sjogrens and Fibro. Lucky duck I guess. At least there's more documentation out now about having multiple IA's and their crossover symptoms. I appreciate your compliment, but I do want to assure you that there are days, sometimes weeks, that I am unable to sew or quilt at all. What I have accomplished has taken more than a year at a time for each quilt.

I wish I could nap, but if I do, then I don't sleep well at all, and I don't sleep very well anyway due to the Fibro. I'm glad to hear that your naps help you so much with your brain fog. Wish it were that simple for me. Oh well, I just handle it best I can. I'm thinking maybe the big reason I do have trouble with DH's comments is because I used to be so sharp and able to do just about anything I set my mind to. Not so much anymore. Guess we just have to keep recreating what we're capable of doing and do the best we can. Hang in there.

Karla
Old 05-24-2009, 05:03 PM

My very first quilt was a really complicated (many points meeting) and I did as much unsewing as sewing. My life took several 90 degree turns and I finally finished it 10 years later--living in a new place and a new husband. When I finally finished it and put it on the bed his only comment was "It sure is pink". Actually it was, but it had been started for another house and another decor. So we used it until I finished a new quilt and gave the pink one to a neighbor for her guest bedroom. She is so crazy about it, everyone who comes to her house has to go look at her quilt. So a very happy ending.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

The red "Hell Fire" quilt was awesome.

Why has the picture of it been removed?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 AM

I have a son (one of four) who happens to like black and bright, basic colors. I made his first quilt ten years ago. It was 45 degree colors and my first time working with bias. I thot it was the ugliest thing I had ever made but HE loved it. It was well used and now he's ready for another one. This one is black background with music staffs in white and a huge, red treble clef in the middle. The back is beige with black music. He is an electrical engineer in the lighting, sound and decorating end of show business. I don't worry about anyone elses opinion. Only his, and he loves it. No, I'm not too fond of it either, but I like the pattern and ten years later, the workmanship is VERY improved.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:46 PM
pal

It is so unfair for anyone to judge your work unless you ask for their
opinion. It is even more unfair for anyone to judge something that is not finished.

I was devastated when someone did that to me, and then I reallized that
I didn't like their taste at all, so why would I be upset when they didn't like mine? Thinking this way has saved me a lot of grief!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by camillacamilla
Well, he made me feel bad about it, so I reworked the backgrounds incorporating dark blues into the black and gray. Now it is completely NOT what I envisioned...I just hate it now.
I feel so bad for you! Absolutely nothing kills the spirit like criticism or judgment... :( I can touch your feelings.

Frankly, I would throw the whole darn thing out and begin something new that I WANTED TO DO!

Sometimes people say things without thinking the problem is the more we respect (or love) that person, the more it hurts.

Keep your chin up and your mind creating...
Love from Norway
Old 05-27-2009, 07:15 AM

When I was learnign o quilt, I had several experiences like that, made by my hubby's family, who do not quilt. I even cried over one of them. I now quilt for myself. Our quilts are our creations and they can look how ever we want them to look. You keep right on gong with that quilt. It sounds beautiful to me. I love black in my quilts.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 AM

I say do it the way you want to. DH might just be surprised when he sees the finished product. I know sometimes when I see start something my DH will look at me with those eyes that says What are you thinking Woman? Well he is usually surprised at the finished product. I say go for it. And by the way I love those boots that the other lady showed. See I'd name it " These boots are made for walking." Pull out that mariners compass and go for it. Black just makes it interesting.