Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ever start an expensive project but absolutely hate working on it? >

ever start an expensive project but absolutely hate working on it?

ever start an expensive project but absolutely hate working on it?

Old 10-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

I only made one I truly detested finishing. It was a memory quilt from the deceased clothing. I do not like memory quilts, don't like even looking at them and here I was making one. It was nagging me to death so I had to finish it to get it off my back. The recipient gratefulness was the reward for all the frustration but not worth doing another.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:43 AM

I can't say that I've spent a huge amount of money on a quilt that I hated but, I've had to struggle sometimes to get one done that I didn't enjoy working on.

I'm another one that uses a barter system...... work on the quilt for a couple of hours to be able to do something else for a set amount of time. My problem is that I have to use the barter system to get other things done.... like housework. If I do housework or 2 hours, then I get to quilt for 2 hours.... you get the picture?

I say, the more you procrastinate, the harder it's going to be. You have to pull up your big girl pants and get at it. Breaking it down to smaller steps would help me. Get this step finished and treat myself to a LQS shopping trip, for example. I can't handle having something that mentally weighs me down. I have to finish things and get them out of the way.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how you're coming along on this. We do love to see other quilters getting through some obstacles that challenge us as well. ... Rooting for you......big time!!
Old 10-27-2014, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I am in that boat right now. Saw a quilt at LQS and fell in love with it. I signed up for her lessons 6 @ $45.00 each bought the fabric and notions she said I needed. Went to 3 classes but never finished the blocks.I think she intimidates us because she knows what to do and the class doesnt. I did not go to the last lesson and probably will not go back. Now I have an expensive mess sitting here.
On the bright side I know never to take a lesson from her again.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
It is hard to work on something you don't like, but I say suck it up and get it done ASAP and give it to her! If you don't it is just going to keep bugging you. (Do you have a friend that would finish it for you???) Then reward yourself with one that you love for yourself!!
I AGREE with Jeanne. Good Luck and hang in there.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Just do it and get it done. I always finish my quilts. Then I start another. Seems for me as I get more into it and looking at it I get more to liking it.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, all. After spending $100 on the patterns (its a multi part patter), and $200+ on fabric there's no way I can let it be a UFO. I guess the good part is me knowing I hate fusible patterns.

It sucks when your "enjoyment" activity is now a "chore."
Old 10-28-2014, 03:40 AM

On a project like that I MAKE myself sew a few seams on the hated project before I can sew anything else and before you know it the project will be coming along nicely. It breaks it up so you can at least see progress and still don't have to put in a lot of time in one sitting to get it done. Your sister is more important that your disgust with the project and sometimes I have been pleasantly surprised after a while to get less aggravated by it as it progresses.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I only made one I truly detested finishing. It was a memory quilt from the deceased clothing. I do not like memory quilts, don't like even looking at them and here I was making one. It was nagging me to death so I had to finish it to get it off my back. The recipient gratefulness was the reward for all the frustration but not worth doing another.
Thanks, I needed this comment! We just finished packing up and donating all of my SIL's clothes. I didn't save anything and thought after that maybe I should have. So thanks! You've clarified my thinking on it.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:05 AM

Absolutely! It is still sitting in my UFO pile and it may stay there until someone inherits my stash in the future!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 AM

This year, I made the same (or similar) discovery that you did ... that I detest the iron-on, raw edge sewing applique process. I've been saving up patterns for years because I was sure I would love doing them - some day. In January of this year, I made some log cabin practice blocks with some 2" strips I had on hand ... one of the strips was glaringly wrong (color-wise), but I decided to put the blocks together and then 'hide' the ugly strip with iron-on applique. The result is quite cute; however, the process really stinks! I was quite shocked to discover how annoying it is for me.