Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever wonder just how long >

Ever wonder just how long

Ever wonder just how long

Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 PM

I buy a lot of fabric on Ebay. If you hunt around you can find some great deals, such as boxes of misc fabric quarters/yards sold by the pound. I bought a box of 10 lbs of cotton quilting fabric for $50 (including shipping) and estimate that I got about 25 yards of usable fabric out of it.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:16 PM

I am retired and have set aside $200 a month for quilting. I even have my own separate checking account for it. I've noticed I spend about $150 average each month. It's like budgeting your checking account. Set aside money for it and stick with that budget.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 PM

Well, I must confess what I have been purchasing. I have bought blankets (feels simular to an electric blanket, only thinner) at $5.00 for twin size at the local dollar store. I have only completed 3 quilts and two more I am currently glueing together to get ready for quilting this weekend/next week. I use these blankets for my batting. Then I purchase twin size sheets from Wal-Mart at $4.97 for the backing. I know these are probably not "real" quilting items, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money because 1. I wasn't sure I would like quilting and 2. I am on a budget too. I have purchased good fabric for the quilt tops....Connecting Threads, Ebay, JoAnne's, Hobby Lobby. So, I figured up what I spent on the quilt I am currently working on for my sister's wedding gift. It's just a lap size. I bought the fabric in the clearance section on Connecting Threads for the top, spent about $16.00 with enough left over to make a couple of throw pillos, $5.00 for the blanket/batting, $4.97 for the sheet backing, $3.00 for the thread, and I did purchase more fabric for the binding - about $6.00. So, I only have about $35.00 total into the quilt. I don't think that's bad and I can afford to keep quilting. Also, those soft, fleecy throws are only $2.50 at the local dollar store and made a perfect backing for a large baby blanket I recently finished for my first grandchild. After using the blanket for batting I went back to the dollar store and bought all they had so I have 4 more left to use. So, I guess I am mindful of the expense associated with quilting. Fabric is really expensive!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Good Morning! Everyone. I'm new on the QB and have only done a couple small quilts. I did make a diaper bag. I found one at a garage sale, took it apart and just winged it. That was 8 years ago. it did turn out pretty cute and was disposed of. That just hit me the wrong way and I just stopped. I've decided that if any quilting I did was going to be disposed of the way I wanted it. so enough of the pityparty. I'm back and ready. I never got rid of my stash though. When I started going through it, I was amazed at what I had. I also remembered all the places that I picked up my material. That was a couple of weeks ago. I informed my husband I going sailing (as in garage, estate, moving, etc.). "OK, that's what I thought. Anything you want me to do?) He knew something was up when the machine was sitting back on the card table. I told him to just keep his eyes open and enough cash in his wallet. He picks material up for me also to and from work. So just "GO SAILING".
Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 AM

I retired a year ago and still work part-time. Thank goodness for a rather extensive stash of fabric otherwise I would not be able to quilt. I did buy a longarm quilting machine with part of my retirement money and am taking in quilting to help support my habit but it is very slow going trying to build a quilting business.
I was recently asked to donate a couple of quilts for a fundraiser and had to search my stash and determine if i had the fabric to do it with buying more before I could commit. I also told my guild I would quilt a couple of their donation quilts each month rather than spending money on fabric to make donation quilts.
I think you just have to make different decisions when your budget is more limited. I can't imagine giving up quilting. I am learning to make scrappier quilts also.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 AM

I am retired and use most of my fabric stash for charity quilts. I ask my family and friends to give me gift cards to fabric stores when it is an occasion for a gift such as my birthday. I use these cards mostly for quilting tools but last week I used three cards to purchase enough fabric to make a quilt for myself.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 AM

I am 67 and haven't retired yet, but I am buying fabric for certain quilts that I want to make and finish after I retire, I also get the backing and the batting so that I will not have that much out of pocket when I do retire. Just a thought.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
Ladies, calm down!!! My husband and I have been retired for 16 years and you will always be able to quilt. Between your stash, your savings from not driving to work, buying clothes for work, going out ot lunch everyday or packing your lunch, and of course your management of money, you will be fine. I try to keep my "hobby" spending to $100 or less a month. Of course there are months I don't spend that much and some months I go over. You manage and you will too
Excellent answer and what I was going to say. You do save a lot by not working! But you have to be realistic on your budget.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 AM

I shop for good sheets at the thrift stores to use for backing. retired ,can't afford to give away to much now. It's a shame that have the time and not the money now. So just have to be thrifty.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM
sap

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
Tonight I stopped by the fabric store to buy some backing material for two lapquilts. I was shocked at how much I spent, even though the fabric was on sale. I didn't dare look around at anything else, I did wonder driving home, how long can I afford to spend this money then give it away? Can I afford when I retire? I think about those things.
I worried the same way you are worrying, before I retired. I've found that if I think outside of the box there are many, many ways to find the fabric I need for what I want to do since I retired. I'm loving it!