Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Everyone knows the answer.... >

Everyone knows the answer....

Everyone knows the answer....

Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I have not ordered anything from Marshall's but I got a sampler from Connecting threads once. There were 24 fat quarters. I got to see which ones I liked better than others and that way I could order more later. You might want to ask Marshall's if they have samplers.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:06 AM

This has become a batik discussion, not a Marshall's discussion, but I will add my 2 cents worth. We recently made a prayer quilt for the church which means it is a tied quilt. The needle with the 6 strands of embroidery thread went through the batiks easily, but had to be pulled through with pliers on the Moda white muslin.

Nothing I've ordered from Marshall's has been LQS quality, but certainly not bad and I like some of the patterns and selection of colors in a line. I don't have a picture of the quilt we made for the bazaar last year, but the Marshall's fabric in it certainly held it's own with the other fabrics used.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Marshall's sells brand name quilt shop quality fabric and cheaper craft fabric. If ordering online, know which one you are ordering. The warehouse store is amazing if you ever get to go there.
Which brand names?
sandy
Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 AM

I personally don't care for batiks much. They seem pretty thin and the mottled colors are not my thing. Have never ordered from Marshalls but may take a look anyway.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:48 AM

My 2 cents worth. I agree batiks are like anything else, some work, some don't. I have ordered from Nancy's Notions and been delighted with all of my purchases. Personally, I love batiks and use them whenever possible. Love the comment about a little child in Africa and his quilt.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:22 AM

I actually have experience with batiks from Marshall's. I ordered 10 1 yard each of different patterns. I was surprised by the fabric. It is very "heavy" not delicate or smooth, but rather coarse fabric. The colors are rather garish, also. Not the pretty muted colors I have experienced with others. There was also one missing from the order which I did advise them of. I washed and ironed, no bleeding or shrinking, etc.
I have ordered many times from them, even bolts of fabric. Always very happy. I called to ask about the quality of the batiks and was told they get them from the same places everyone else does. I guess he thought they did but I can't believe it. He was nice enough. I'll use the fabric for something.
Connecting Threads and Nancy's Notions both have beautiful batiks.
Kathie
Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 AM

Batiks are just like any other fabric. You need to look at the actual piece that you want. Some batiks are very nice and others not so. In general I love batiks and have made several quilts using them. I have even had batik on the front and on the back. I do hear a little popping when I quilt those but they are fine especially after washing the quilt.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:21 AM

I work with Batiks all the time as I do mostly applique, I don't think the fabric bleeds any more than others when washed. I find it very easy to use as it's thinner than some cotton and more pliable when you turn it under.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Start with what Tessagin says, and use this recipe: to keep colors from running
2 T. salt, 1/2 C. white vinegar, 2 T. detergent. (If you Really feel they are going to bleed toss in a Shout color catcher with it)
Good Luck!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 AM

I have ordered f rom Marshalls and been happy, and they sent the wrong pannel one time and resent the correct one and I got to keep the wrong one.