Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Everyone knows the answer.... >

Everyone knows the answer....

Everyone knows the answer....

Old 04-29-2014, 08:35 PM

Default Everyone knows the answer....

Everyone knows the answer, but me. Reading the threads daily, I often see mention of Marshall's Dry Goods. Finally took a look at their web site. Wonderful stuff. I have never bought or sewn with Batiks. Why? Guess they scare me. The prices are nice, saw a lot that I liked, almost ordered some.....then. I started looking and reading. Are all batiks 200 thread count? Does this make a difference? Finally, will I have to wash all of them and be alarmed at the amount of bleeding? So....HELP...before I spend the money. You gals and guys are amazing. Thanks!

Just Barb
Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Bite the bullet! Buy the least amount allowed for 3-4 pieces and enjoy when it arrives. Really, what is the worst thing that can happen?? Okay, can you live with that?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 PM

Yes, they may bleed, but so do $14 a yard ones from the LQS. That's what washing machines and color catchers are for. I have ordered regular fabric from Marshall's. The colors aren't as deep as some, but they have gone into quilts very nicely. The one red batik I ordered is very nice - a very rich color. I have found the 108" wide backings a little stiff. Makes for easy sandwiching and they may soften with use. Order a few pieces and see for yourself. BTW, very generous cuts - almost an extra 1/4 yard in each 1 yard piece.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the information. Like I need another place to order fabric. Ha, Ha. BrendaK
Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

Not all batiks bleed. Some do, and some bleed a lot. But as irishrose pointed out, so do some flannels and some quilting cottons...
Batiks are a denser weave because of the process used for making them. Some are a bit stiffer than other fabrics, although that improves if they're washed before using, and most of the nicer ones are not stiff at all. If you're quilting or piecing by hand, it might be more difficult to get the needle through them. However they're great for applique because they don't fray. And one of the joys of batiks is that they all seem to go together.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:36 AM

Check out the batiks on Connecting Threads. I have ordered batiks several times from them. The prices are very reasonable.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

I prewash everything in hot water no matter what with exception of any silks or fancy materials. When I purchase anything on line (which is rare) that I'm not familiar with the company, I start out bare minimum. Gradually, I increase but I've not had any luck for couple years, therefore I just shop local.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Marshall's sells brand name quilt shop quality fabric and cheaper craft fabric. If ordering online, know which one you are ordering. The warehouse store is amazing if you ever get to go there.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM

I have had inconsistent quality no matter which manufacturer. Buy a few pieces and see if you like it. The shipping probably costs less than gas to go to the fabric store, and the fabric is inexpensive. I'm not sure how you can lose ;-).

Worst case, some little child in Africa gets to snuggle with a quilt made of the best quality fabric he/she has ever seen ;-).
Old 04-30-2014, 07:15 AM

Yes, if you go to longarm sites, you will see that people do special things to quilt with batiks. The weave is not as "malleable" as other cotton, so when the quilt is quilted, the holes left behind are bigger (but will close upon washing anyway).

I personally have decided that I won't ever do an all-batik quilt because I don't like quilting them much. However, a few pieces of batik in a non-batik quilt is just wonderful.