Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Experience with Winline wool batting >

Experience with Winline wool batting

Experience with Winline wool batting

Old 03-18-2016, 06:44 AM

Default Experience with Winline wool batting

I bought some of this for a local quilt shop. The owner said it was great. Then again, what do you expect her to say? When I laid it out, there was a definite diagonal line where it looked like two batts had been pressed together at the manufacturer. It also had one spot, maybe 2x3" that was thinner, almost a hole. Since I needed the quilt sandwiched on Sunday (shops aren't open), I went ahead with the batt. I will be quilting it no less than every 2" in an all-over meander so I can handle some non-conformity. I love wool batting for "grown up" quilts, and this one is for my husband as a lap quilt; he wanted a super big one so it is 60x80! I have used Quilter Dream and Hobbs wool in the past, but the shop didn't have any. I had queen sized and king sized wool batts, but nothing this size which is why I bought this. It is quilting well so far.I guess my question is whether anyone else has had problems with this batting. Did I just get a bad bit? It seems popular with the quilt shops around here since the distributor is local. Pam
Old 03-18-2016, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Pam, take it back to the store showing your concerns. I just keep using Hobbs 80/20.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

My concern with off-brand wool batts would be whether they would launder well, smell like wet sheep, etc. I have seen cotton and poly batts (provided to me for use for charity quilts) that were uneven in spots, had thicker lines through them, etc. and that didn't seem to be a problem after they were quilted.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 AM

Thanks dunster. I felt the batt carefully and it seemed smooth enough. It does seem to be quilting fine. The brand isn't as popular as Hobbs (for example), but it isn't an off-brand, just regional. I am hoping another Utah/Idaho/Arizona quilter provides some personal experience.