Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Experienced embroidery-ers help???

Blog Entries
    I want to give all my kids monogramed towels for Christmas! I have a wonderful machine that will whip them out. PROBLEM is - I don't have a clue where to start. What kind of stabalizer do I need for botton. Do I need stabalizer for the top? What to use? Color? Color of thread for bobbin? Should it match the color of the towel? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I don't embroider, but I saw a demonstration, and they used a wash away stabilizer on top of the towels to keep the stitches from disappearing into the nap of the towels. This was in addition to a tear away on the back.

I would use a mid weight cutaway for the bottom and a water soluable over the top, bobbin thread is usually white or black 70wt, it blends in with almost anything and isn't really noticed.
    what machine do you have? I have a Singer Futura

You need a wash away on the top and bottom to keep the thread from being lost in the knap.

Blog Entries
    I was told to use tear away on the bottom and wash away on the top at the Janome Dealer. I haven't done it yet, but I want to try. Actually, I havent even tried to do any embroidery yet, I think I am too scared too.LOL It looks so easy when you see it done, but the placement of things worries me. If you figure it out, let me know!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
    I don't embroider, but I saw a demonstration, and they used a wash away stabilizer on top of the towels to keep the stitches from disappearing into the nap of the towels. This was in addition to a tear away on the back.
    thats about it for towels, just don't get a super heavy velour or nap

Tear away stabilizer has a tendency to wrinkle when it gets wet. Obviously, a towel will get wet at sometime.

Regardless of what a Janome dealer tells you, and before you get upset, I sold and held classes on Janome embroidery machines and love them, use wash away on both sides, you'll be happier with the results.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lllog
    Tear away stabilizer has a tendency to wrinkle when it gets wet. Obviously, a towel will get wet at sometime.

Regardless of what a Janome dealer tells you, and before you get upset, I sold and held classes on Janome embroidery machines and love them, use wash away on both sides, you'll be happier with the results.

Lanny
    Quiltedoaks.com
    Gosh,I would never get upset when someone makes a suggestion to do things that are new to me. !! Ill take all the help I can get!! Years ago I used the tear away for something I was stitching, and I hated it because it was so stiff when finished, so wash away sounds good to me. And now I know who to ask when I need help.LOL Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    It would be my suggestion to use two sheets of water Soluable on the bottom for a bit more stability. Then one on top to keep stitches from going down into towell.

Lanny
    Quiltedoaks.com
    I was told to use the wash away on top and a cut away on bottom. The embroidery was stiff that's for sure. I don't know what it's like after many washings, they weren't mine. My question is if you use wash away on the bottom, when it washes away what holds the stitches after heavy use. Does the stablizer that is "caught" bewteen the stitches not washed away, therefore keeping the stitches in place. I've done very little embroidery. I thought I would really like doing it but so far I haven't caught the bug. I love to piece so haven't taken the time to get to know all the ends and outs of machine embroidery work.

I did a set with Mickey Mouse a couple years ago. I did wash away on both sides, double thickness. Yes, it is a little costly, but my embroidery still looks good. I do not embroider a lot, to me it is boring and most times I just use what I have and have even been know to use sewing stabilizer....

I will try and post a pic in a minute. My computer is not being very friendly to me at the moment....

Lanny
    Quiltedoaks.com

Go to embroidery library and view the tutorial on embroidering towels.

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/ELProje...oductid=PR1256

Here are my towels. I would reduce the size next time I do them. These are about 2 1/2 years old with at least 100 washes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have done towels, with no stabilizer! After repeated washing, they still look fine. However, like the others have mentioned, a wash-away on top will help to keep your thread from getting lost in the nap.

I use a wash away stabilizer when I embroidery on towels. I put it in the hoop on the underneath side and also on top to help control the loops in the terry cloth. This is my "experience" tip for you...use TWO threads of the same color thru one needle on top and stitch thru all the layers of the stabilizer front and back and the towel. The 2 threads has much better coverage than one and will stitch as one thread because you are running them thru the same needle. It really makes a big difference in the way the thread covers the terry cloth. I did monagramed towels last year for my kids and they turned out really well.

I just did towels for my GKs. I experimented a bit... The wash away on top is the way to go. It is doable without it, but is smoother and looks nicer with it. I have seen mention of using " glad" press and seal, instead of the wash away... I believe I would try this. It will pull away once stitched.
    I used tear away on some and cut away on others on the back... I couldn't tell much difference. I studied a number of tutorials before starting this project. All tutorials recommended tear away. They discouraged wash away on the back. stating the emb would not hold up well. (Thanks to CQ for showing us towels after many washings-- they look like they held up to me) I used white bobbin as recoommended....my towels were colored and it definately shows on the back side.. Next time I think I would try to use the same color as the towel. Would certainly make it look much nicer. The best thing I learned from my research was to use "sticky" stabilizer.. instead of trying to hoop the towel. I did hoop one practice towel, with difficulty( it was a lighter wt towel , than my project towels.) I loved the " Sticky" I will definately use it on otehr projects...

This was a great post! I used wash away on top and tear away on bottom. Going to try wash away on top and bottom next time. My sisters loved their monogramed towels last year.

Quote Originally Posted by bgullett
    This was a great post! I used wash away on top and tear away on bottom. Going to try wash away on top and bottom next time. My sisters loved their monogramed towels last year.
    I agree great subject. I have a mega hoop so hooping towels and other items are a lot easier. Hooping was the one thing that really turned me off of embroidery but with the mega hoop it a doable project. I going to use the wash away on top and bottom next time. As for the bobbin I used white on bottom and blue on top and you couldn't even see the white on bottom, it blended in with the blue and it looked like I used the same color. Again thanks for the information and the pictures. See something done and reading about it makes all the difference in the world.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I would use a mid weight cutaway for the bottom and a water soluable over the top, bobbin thread is usually white or black 70wt, it blends in with almost anything and isn't really noticed.
    what machine do you have? I have a Singer Futura
    I have a 2009 Phaff Creative Visions. It is a great machine with lots of GOODIES! Maybe, just MAYBE, I'll learn how to use them all in MY lifetime....

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all who have given me numerous TIPS on monagramming towels. Lots of good information. You all have given me COURAGE.. Hope this has also helped others too!...

Blog Entries
    I've been told to use wash away on top and on bottom for towels.

Here is some towels I embroidered for my grandson for a wedding gift. I used H2Gone on bottom and light weight water soluble on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    I want to give all my kids monogramed towels for Christmas! I have a wonderful machine that will whip them out. PROBLEM is - I don't have a clue where to start. What kind of stabalizer do I need for botton. Do I need stabalizer for the top? What to use? Color? Color of thread for bobbin? Should it match the color of the towel? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Dustin's towels and wash cloth
    Name:  Attachment-137768.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  48.4 KB

Chasity's towels and wash cloth
    Name:  Attachment-137769.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  49.7 KB

Great job Dorothy!

I forgot to add that when I used wash away on the bottom I hooped 2 layers, sprayed with Taylors quilt basting spray and 'hooped' the towels this way. There is almost no way to hoop terry cloth in the hoop. I didn't use any spray on the top to hold the wash away.

Also thanks Maryb for the double thread idea. I shall try it next time!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Great job Dorothy!

I forgot to add that when I used wash away on the bottom I hooped 2 layers, sprayed with Taylors quilt basting spray and 'hooped' the towels this way. There is almost no way to hoop terry cloth in the hoop. I didn't use any spray on the top to hold the wash away.
    I agree about not trying to hoop the terry, especially on some of the heavier towels. For the top, I like to use a layer of tulle (fine nylon net) along with the washaway; it is easy to clip or tear away, and really keeps the design from sinking into the loops after rinsing away the washaway, and offers support thru many washes. I pin the tulle & washaway on top, away from the design area being embroidered.

Anne

I agree; wash away on both sides is by far the best way to go. I'm right now in the process of doing a set of tea towels for a friend for Christmas. I use wash away on both sides. I've also done many many monogrammed bath towel sets. I use wash away for that as well.

I used to use tear away but then I discovered the great new products on the market - I go to JoAnns every so often to check out what's new - this is how I discovered the wash away that I use. It's worth your time to spend an hour or two perusing the products that are now being sold.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast