Experienced embroidery-ers help??? >

Experienced embroidery-ers help???

Experienced embroidery-ers help???

Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Go to embroider lib. and look at there turiorls and they explain everything
Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Originally Posted by patdesign
If you are using sulky solvy, do save all your little scraps of this stuff after torn off, it can be mixed with water to make a paste for a lot of other uses. The newest Sulky book, which I resisted buying for a long time and finally used a JoAnns 50% coupon, is worth its weight in gold and tips using stabilizers are only the beginning, a cd with projects in the back, Its the newest one and I am so glad I bought it.
What is the name of the Sulky Book? I have one that I bought 7-8 years ago. Doubt it's the same one.
Sew, Craft, Quilt and Embroider Confidently with Sulky Stabilizers by Joyce Drexler. ISBN # 1-931176-14-0
Old 12-06-2010, 11:53 AM

It sounds like you used cap tearaway. There are different weights of stabilizers...I usually chose an unstructured cap (no inside stiffner) and a cutaway. Structured caps (like trucker caps) are very had to get them to lay flat to get stitched. I have been mach. emb. since 1993 and although I don't consider myself and expert or professional, if I can ever help you with your mach. emb. just email me off group.Best wishes...
Originally Posted by clem55
Originally Posted by lllog
Tear away stabilizer has a tendency to wrinkle when it gets wet. Obviously, a towel will get wet at sometime.

Regardless of what a Janome dealer tells you, and before you get upset, I sold and held classes on Janome embroidery machines and love them, use wash away on both sides, you'll be happier with the results.

Lanny
Quiltedoaks.com
Gosh,I would never get upset when someone makes a suggestion to do things that are new to me. !! Ill take all the help I can get!! Years ago I used the tear away for something I was stitching, and I hated it because it was so stiff when finished, so wash away sounds good to me. And now I know who to ask when I need help.LOL Thanks!!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Thanks again for all the knowledge that ya'll have shared. I have a quilt to finish today but will attack the towels tomorrow. Getting all supplies today! I should be FINE with all of you cheering me on. Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM

I do a lot of Machine Embroidery. I have made seven quilts, 6 sets of towels.... I will stop bragging. Here is what you need to do.
Use a light weight tear away stablizer on the botton. The towels are thick so you don't need anything heavy on the bottom.
Use a wash away stablizer on the top. It keeps the nap from getting tangled.
Change your stictch speed (if possible) to a lower setting. I change my setting from 1000 stitches to 300 stitches (which is the lowest setting on mt Baby Lock)
After you finishe the Embroidery you will be able to tear all the back stablizer off, and just rinse the towel and the wash away disappears.
It is really very easy. :D
Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 AM

It's up to you the easiest way is to Hoop wash away Sticky back stablizer Then Mark your towel or print out a templete and mark the center of the design . Take a pin and score the paper on the sticky back and peel it back Center Towel with where you marked for your design I use a Washable pen for marking then put then put hoop on machine and lay the Water Solvy that looks like clear plastic on top of the hoop I large enough you can pin to towel just watch and besure it lays flat .Sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it goes pretty quick
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
I was told to use tear away on the bottom and wash away on the top at the Janome Dealer. I haven't done it yet, but I want to try. Actually, I havent even tried to do any embroidery yet, I think I am too scared too.LOL It looks so easy when you see it done, but the placement of things worries me. If you figure it out, let me know!
I was like you at the beginning when I first got my embroidery machine. So, I took lots of lessons and then haven't touched it for many months. So, yesterday I sat down to just play and found I had retained more than I thought. It is nice to read this post and get reminders of what actually is logged some where in my brain. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 PM

My Husband got me a Brother PE 150 and told me if I use it I could get a better one Then I got a Card and Reader/Writer and started scoping out free designs on the internet There were no classes close by and I couldn,t afford $50. that a most of them wanted for 1 class so Everything I have learned was on the Internet Embird is a awesome program for beginners If yours has the usb I would use it for now for transfering designs and play after 2yrs He got me the 2003D ULT Brother with a 9X10 hoop for mothersday then last year for our anniversary he bought me a Janome 11000SE this art is addictive
Old 12-10-2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I would use a mid weight cutaway for the bottom and a water soluable over the top, bobbin thread is usually white or black 70wt, it blends in with almost anything and isn't really noticed.
what machine do you have? I have a Singer Futura
I use water soluble on top and mid weight tear away on the bottom, but I match the bobbin cotton with the top. That way it looks right both sides of the item sewn.