Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Experienced embroidery-ers help??? >

Experienced embroidery-ers help???

Experienced embroidery-ers help???

Old 12-04-2010, 04:18 PM

Here is a site that has a video along with a tutorial. Hope it helps.
http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/elproje...px?page=videos
Old 12-04-2010, 04:43 PM

I embroider on my husqvarna designer II for all ten of my grandkids every year. I like to use Aqua magic on both sides. it has a sticky side so I can hoop the stabilizer then stick the towel on top then put another layer of sticky wash away ( aqua magic) on top to keep the pile from being messed up.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:08 PM

If you are making monogrammed towels, you hoop solvy on top and bottom of the towel so that your machine bits don't catch and pull the loops in the towel. You can use the same thread in the bobbin as the top, or you can use bobbinfil in the bobbin. When you have monogrammed the towel, you pull off most of the solvy then rinse away the left over bits as it dissolves in water.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:23 PM

Use a water soluble on the top so the stitches are not buried. If the design is "dense" you need to use a cutaway on the bottom so it will support the dense design through washing etc. Also, I never hoop the towels, only hoop the stablizer(either one that is adhesive or use 505 on the cutaway). Also, wash the towel before embroidering it so that it wont shrink/distort when washed later.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:32 PM

I don't use wash away on top..I use a sheer tulle and trim it. that way the nap never shows thru. Use a tear away on the back. Thats my 2 cents.. =)
Old 12-04-2010, 06:36 PM

I always use water soluble stabilizer on both the back and front. I like to use a woven stabilizer on the back, because I want to wash out everything. You can hoop the towel if you open up the screw enough. I then do the basting stitch around the hoop.

I use the water soluble stabilizer that feels like plastic (Sulky) on top to keep the stitches from sinking into the towel. I also like to use fairly dense designs. Good luck...you can do this.

You might want to make a "test towel" with one of your old towels.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
I was told to use tear away on the bottom and wash away on the top at the Janome Dealer. I haven't done it yet, but I want to try. Actually, I havent even tried to do any embroidery yet, I think I am too scared too.LOL It looks so easy when you see it done, but the placement of things worries me. If you figure it out, let me know!
Carol, I can totally relate to being afraid of the embroidery machine. I begged and begged my husband for one; he bought me a Babylock Ellageo. I loved to sew on it, but didn't use the embroidery unit for over a year. DH was really getting testy because that expensive piece of equipment was just sitting there. Well, I finally jumped in and now I love it. I'm still learning, but it's lots of fun.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:14 AM

i use tear away on the bottom and desolve on the top it keeps the towel threads from distorting it hope this helps
Old 12-05-2010, 02:14 PM

If you are using sulky solvy, do save all your little scraps of this stuff after torn off, it can be mixed with water to make a paste for a lot of other uses. The newest Sulky book, which I resisted buying for a long time and finally used a JoAnns 50% coupon, is worth its weight in gold and tips using stabilizers are only the beginning, a cd with projects in the back, Its the newest one and I am so glad I bought it.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
If you are using sulky solvy, do save all your little scraps of this stuff after torn off, it can be mixed with water to make a paste for a lot of other uses. The newest Sulky book, which I resisted buying for a long time and finally used a JoAnns 50% coupon, is worth its weight in gold and tips using stabilizers are only the beginning, a cd with projects in the back, Its the newest one and I am so glad I bought it.
What is the name of the Sulky Book? I have one that I bought 7-8 years ago. Doubt it's the same one.