Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extra large cutting mats >

Extra large cutting mats

Extra large cutting mats

Old 02-02-2014, 06:13 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I really wanted to get some feedback from people who actually used a cutting mat other than Olfa since they don't have a bigger size than mine. It is just a cutting mat but I don't want to spend $$$ on a mat that won't last more than couple of years. I have had my biggest olfa for about three years and it is like new but the shifting of the 3 pieces and the cutter going in between is just driving me nuts. Still my reason for buying a bigger one is because I am ordering a custom made cutting table and want to order the mat first so the table is exactly the same size.
Thank you all again. You have been great ;-)
Old 02-02-2014, 06:42 AM

I have a mat from cuttingmats.net someone listed above. I have had it for a year and so far I love it. I think mine is 36x48. I have some counters that a store ordered and never picked up. They are both 2x4. I put them back to back so I have a 4x4 cutting area. I love it. There are shelves with sliding doors on one side and open shelves on the other. It is the perfect height for cutting. Make sure you put storage underneath since you will have more room to store your stash.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 AM

The big mats are great, but new ones are sure pricey. You might check on Ebay for a used one at a fraction of the price. Personally, I have an old, old one that I bought about 25 years ago. It doesn't mend itself, but it's big and has accurate measurements.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I don't have long enough arms to cut more than 24-30" vertically at the most. And if I am cutting for a big piece of fabric - say a one block wonder - I just move it along the board. when I trim a sandwiched quilt, I put two boards together and move slowly along the 72".

For me that would be like making my 48"x72" kitchen island a big wooden chopping board . I can only chop one batch of veggies at a time so the 24"x56" cutting board countertop with the built-in veggie sink is more than enough.

I guess I just miss the point. What should I be doing with all that board?
I often wish I had a bigger mat when I am trimming my edges to get ready for binding. It seems like too much trouble to take it all to the kitchen on my island, and have to keep moving the mat, so I just do it in sections. I always wonder if I'm getting it as straight as it can be, though.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Years ago I purchased the large folding cutting table, I believe from Joanns I also purchased the cutting mat for it that covered the whole table. I will confess that piecing is not my favorite thing. Most of my quilts are for Linus and are made from lengths of fabric layered with batting and flannel for the backs. I use kid friendly fabrics, birth the sandwich and machine quilt them with decorative thread. At this point the Joann's table is piled at least three feet high with fabric and containers of fabric. When I do any cutting I use a smaller mat and the top of my ironing set up. I made that out of a rolling kitchen island that I made a ironing board top for out of plywood that I padded and covered with ironing board fabric. It is a great height for working with fabrics and ironing. In the room where I do my actual sewing I have an old chest of drawers where I keep a cutting board and an small ironing matt handy on top to do any last minute cutting or pressing. The drawers come in handy for sewing and quilting stuff. I hung those wire racks meant to hold kitchen foil and wax paper on each side. They work great for housing my rolls of stabilizers etc. and even my little travel iron and spray bottle. If I ever get that space tidy and figure out how to post pictures I will post some of each of my spaces. I forgot to mention that the majority of quilts that I hand quilt are either white on white, what I call "cheaters" which are lengths of fabric preprinted to look like a pieced quilt, or tops for someone else or some organization.

Last edited by mpspeedy2; 02-02-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 AM

Default Tuesday Morning

Around Christmas I saw really large cutting mats at Tuesday Moring for around $25.00 the Mat was 36 x72 unbelievable size and price!!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 AM

I bought an Alvin cutting mat online last year for $175 with free shipping. It must be 40 something by close to 70 inches long. I LOVE it. Yes it was a little stinky when it first arrived, but I cleaned it with diluted white vinegar and sat it in the sun one afternoon to air out. It is fine now. It took a few days to completely flatten out because it was shipped lightly rolled and arrive in just few days. DH used my hairdryer to warm it then laid some heavy books on it. Worked perfectly. I sure wish I could remember where I ordered it, but a QB search might work. I think I got the info here. I am very satisfied with it and highly recommend how easily the cutter works on it.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:02 PM

I have a Craft Tex mat that is 36 x 59 that I purchased at Jo Ann's on sale for $39.99. I have a table that is 35 inches tall and 37 x 60 . It use to be my husbands table when he repaired T.V. 's. I just had him put a new piece of plywood on top and placed mat on top. Mat covers table and I like the height when cutting. I don't have to bend down so much. I really love my set-up.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:05 PM

Mine is from Alvin, love it!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Faten, I was lucky enough a few years ago to win a large cutting mat. It is 40 x 45. My DH got tired of seeing me crawl around on the floor to use it and made me a nice table top to fit it. The nice thing is that he made it in two parts and the larger part folds down out of the way. The mat is by Kangaroo Kabinets and I am very pleased with it. I think they make sewing room cabinets etc. They may have larger ones, too but you would have to check with them. Let us know what you decide and share a picture, too. :-)