Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eye sight is dimming >

Eye sight is dimming

Eye sight is dimming

Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
Nicely summary of the previous statements.
I just gave my DH a big kiss. He enjoyed the attention and reward!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
I have to agree with all of the above:

Super good lighting

Try using tweezers -- sometimes your fingers can block the lighting

Be sure the thread is trimmed with sharp scissors without any fuzzy strings to make it harder

Use a needle threader...ususally around $1 for 3 of them in a package at Walmart

Using a piece of an index card behind it would give good contrast

Use "cheater" glasses for extra magnification if needed

Eye sight can slowly get worse so please do have your eyes checked.

Give your hubby a big kiss from all of us too for being your threading hero
I just gave him a big kiss from all of us. We need more heroes like him. He is sure enjoying himself.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 PM

I feel your pain as I wait for my cataract surgery. Fortunately for me, my Janome has a needle threader.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:32 PM

Dimming is an indication of cataracts. You can try all the suggestions given but only surgery will correct the dimming. Insuance covers the surgeries (one eye is done one week and the second usually a week later)
Old 12-15-2013, 11:53 PM

I am great at threading the needle but as I move my hand frequently unthread.
I recently had to have my glasses repaired so I went to 'Poundland' and purchased a couple of glasses at different strengths. One pair I used for threading my needle I still use them over my repaired pair as they act as magnifying glasses.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:01 AM

I have the beginning of cataracts so things are not quite into focus and it takes more light than I used to require. This is what I do with more success than any other things I've tried. First of all I have an Ott light directed on the needle area. I use a piece of wide white elastic (or anything white, but the elastic is firm and just works well) held behind my needle so the eye is easily seen. I make a fresh cut on the thread AT AN ANGLE. Someone else was sharp in saying to wet the needle. Some threads puff up when wet. If you do wet the thread, pinch it flat before inserting.
Good luck. Now if someone could help me thread those tiny hand quilting needles. I can see the hole and I can see the thread, but I have a hard time getting them together.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:42 AM

How about some reading glasses for close up?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
My Bernina is self threading, and it works great. But the longarm is not, and sometimes it takes a few tries. Even worse are the tiny needles I use for applique. Good light sure helps. I don't think I would have the patience to keep trying for an hour.
I just used a "tween" needle to attach my label to a quilt. It was a challenge. I learned some time ago that when you trim the end of your needle, snip the end of the thread at an angle. This always works for me and "yes" I do wet my thread. Also, be sure to use the easiest thread to go into your needle. I find that some sewing threads are very thick and have little nubs on them. Coats and Clark thread is especially easy to thread. Just sayin'. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:47 PM

My machines, too, are self threading. However, I always know when it's time to get new glasses when I have difficulty threading a needle in my own hand! lol.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
all good advice but I would really say get your eyes checked that happened to me and they found I had macular degeneration and thank heavens in this day and age there is treatment for it if caught early they cannot undo the damage but they can stop it from advancing good luck
I second this. If it is macular degeneration, there is about a ten day time period before there is irreversible damage. I have lost center vision in one eye and would not wish that on anyone. Fifteen years ago when this happened, there was nothing that could be done. Now, there is. Twice now my center vision has been saved in my good eye...but only because I didn't hesitate about going in.

Luckily, this probably isn't your eye problem. I certainly hope not.

Dina