Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eyelet Fabric >

Eyelet Fabric

Eyelet Fabric

Old 03-10-2015, 12:11 PM

If the eyelet holes are small and the batting is bonded, it will work. I have incorporated eyelet fabric in several baby quilts that were successful and didn't poke out. Another idea would to use Polar fleece instead of a batting. That certainly wouldn't poke out and likely would be even warmer than most battings. I love your idea of adding a ruffle around the edges and then "birthing" the quilt. It will be a lovely, very appreciated gift! Please publish a picture when it is finished.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
It sounds wonderful and cozy, but yes, the batting would poke out the little holes. How about a matching or contrasting color of something very light like organza under the eyelet?
I agree, this was my first thought.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

i'll jump in... it needs to be lined if using traditional batting. but if you use the fleece at batting, that should work... but i think it'd be more difficult to put the needle through to tie.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

I used eyelet on the back of my chicken scratch quilt. I did put green behind it. it came out great, with the eyelet..
Got a lot of compliments on it and was told to tell my mom she did a good job. Why do people think young people can't do that. (It was for my son who is now 25).
Old 03-10-2015, 03:52 PM

First...thank you for making this for your friend. My dad is also on dialysis. He says he is cold all the time too. He has 2 fleece blankets that he takes with him for treatment.

Second...I would put a light weight fabric under the eyelet fabric. The makes a beautiful quilt. I would use it for her. She will love what ever you make for her.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by MsHeirloom View Post
If the eyelet holes are small and the batting is bonded, it will work. I have incorporated eyelet fabric in several baby quilts that were successful and didn't poke out. Another idea would to use Polar fleece instead of a batting. That certainly wouldn't poke out and likely would be even warmer than most battings. I love your idea of adding a ruffle around the edges and then "birthing" the quilt. It will be a lovely, very appreciated gift! Please publish a picture when it is finished.
I would make it this way too.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I made a quilt with beautiful white eyelet fabricate for the top. I layered the eyelet over a fabulous pink fabric, so the top was two layers of fabric, then the batting/ backing. You need some sort of layer between the eyelet & batting.
What she said.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

IMO - definitely not to the batting right next to the eylet.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:32 AM

I love all these lovely ideas for the eyelet fabric. I plan to use mine for aprons because I love them. The frillier the better.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
I think you might want to use a sheer fabric (batiste or organza maybe?) between your batting and your quilt top just to be sure there's no "leakage" of fluff from the batting. The rest of your plan sounds lovely.
This sounds like a great solution!